As one of the three gifts of the wise men to Jesus Christ at His birth, frankincense was considered as valuable (if not MORE valuable) than gold during ancient times. Egyptian tradition states “Frankincense is good for everything from gout to a broken head” or in other woods “good from head to toe.”
- The Boswellia trees that create frankincense resin has to be FORTY (40!!!) years old before it can be tapped
- There are over 52 references to frankincense in the bible
Topical: Apply 2-4 drops directly onto skin or Vita Flex points. Dilution not required unless you have a skin sensitivity OR if you’re a little one! 🙂
Aromatic: Inhale directly from the bottle or diffuse.
Dietary***: Put 2 drops in a capsule up to 3 times daily. It doesn’t taste great… I’ll warn you!
Safety / Precautions:
- As with all oils, NEVER get an oil in your ears or in your eyes. If you do, do NOT use water to get it out… simply apply a carrier oil to dilute the oil.
I will say this, frankincense is one of those oils that I use “when in doubt.” When in doubt, use frankincense. It really is good for COUNTLESS things… even though I’ve only listed 20 here! 🙂
20 Uses for Frankincense Essential Oil
- Great oil for relaxing muscles when massaged onto skin or taken internally via a capsule
- Great for easing body tension
- FABULOUS for supporting skin health by applying directly to moles, skin tags, scars, wrinkles, and age spots
- Use daily to support a healthy immune system
- Diffuse or inhale directly to increase spirituality and inner strength (I love a drop on my forehead when I’m going to read my bible or pray)
- Diffuse or inhale directly to lift mood
- May help ease occasional stress or anxiety
- May help ease the occasional nagging cough when applied directly to the chest or throat
- May ease inflammation when applied directly to affected area
- Place a drop on temples, forehead, or back of neck to ease the occasional head and neck tension
- Diffuse during times of stress (labor and delivery, anyone?!)
- Great for emotional support when used daily
- Apply directly to chest and back to support healthy, normal respiratory function
- Add a drop to facial moisturizer or cleanser to support youthful skin
- For new moms, apply one drop daily to the umbilical cord stump on your newborn until it falls off.
- May ease symptoms of discomfort from a urinary tract infection
- May ease symptoms of discomfort from a yeast infection
- Add a few drops along with coconut oil (and lavender, too!) for a great after-sun skin care lotion / cream
- Great to use in conjunction with carrot seed oil for a homemade sunscreen
- Add a few drops along with epsom salts for a relaxing, uplifting bath soak
So there you have it! 20 AWESOME uses for frankincense!
Frankincense is one of the “Everyday Oils” that comes in the Premium Starter Kit when you sign up as a wholesale member with Young Living. If you are interested in getting started, you can do so here!
What is YOUR favorite way to use frankincense?
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA… this is all meant for informational purposes only! None of this information is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
**My sources are the Essential Oils Pocket Reference Guide, Desk Reference Guide, Essential Oils Starter Guide, as well as other published information.
***I do not recommend ingesting any essential oil brand other than Young Living essential oils due to their therapeutic properties and farming practices.
Want to learn more about essential oils? Sign up for my *free* 14-day essential oils 101 e-mail course! Ready to get started with essential oils? Sign up to get your Premium Starter Kid with Young Living here!
Other Essential Oil Use Blog Posts To Check Out:
Looking to get started with essential oils? Visit my essential oils page for more information on how!