Maybe you want to get into ethical fashion, but you’re not sure where to start. Meet Amy Ann Cadwell, the Co-Founder and CEO of The Good Trade. The Good Trade is a digital media and lifestyle brand publication that covers sustainable fashion. Amy Ann joins us to tell her story and share with you how your purchases can truly work toward alleviating poverty and suffering for marginalized communities.
(Click the featured times below to jump forward in the episode)
Things You Don’t Want To Miss:
Meet Today’s Guest.
- 1:19 – Amy Ann Cadwell is the Co-Founder and CEO of The Good Trade. She founded The Good Trade in Los Angeles in 2014. It’s a digital media and lifestyle brand publication that covers sustainable fashion and lifestyle.
The Amy Ann 101.
- 2:45 – Amy Ann first pursued social change as an academic interest. She studied development economics and along the way became interested in micro-finance and entrepreneurship as sustainable solutions for poverty alleviation. As a result, she received her master’s degree in social entrepreneurship. During this time, Amy Ann watched the Netflix documentary, The True Cost. It showed her the dark underbelly of fast fashion, and it convicted her to leverage her graduate work toward solving labor issues and promoting sustainability in the fashion industry. She subsequently founded The Good Trade in 2014.
The Power Of One.
- 8:13 – You might be thinking, “I’m just one person. Does it really matter where I shop?” We need to combat that mentality because the truth is, you do have an impact on change. As consumers, we’re collectively capable of making huge shifts in global, economic power, and it starts with one. As consumers, we must question the status quo and support companies that align with our values. Consider what you’re bringing into your home.
Do Your Purchases Serve A Purpose?
- 12:40 – No, we’re not asking you to become a minimalist. However, we would encourage you think about whether you’re purchasing with a purpose. We have a skewed idea of how many things we need in our lives to live comfortably, and our purchases can have detrimental impacts upon those who created those items. Ironically, the more stuff you have, the less satisfaction you’ll probably receive out of a particular item.
Something To Write About.
- 14:45 – Amy Ann always had a desire to write and create. She leveraged that interest for her passion for sustainable development. She and her husband started a blog about popular local businesses as a hobby while she was in graduate school. When she moved to Los Angeles, they sold the publication, and she decided to start over with a new digital publication centered around her work.
Transforming A Passion Project Into A Publication.
- 20:00 – The Good Trade began as a side hustle. It was a full year before Amy Ann began thinking of it as a serious business, but she soon began seeing the momentum behind her content. She wanted to dedicate more attention to sustainable fashion, so she developed a studio of writers toward the cause as she and her husband built the organization.
How To Get Started.
- 22:18 – If you’ve never read The Good Trade, take the baby step of subscribing to their newsletter. It’s released daily, and it’s a place to get some of The Good Trade’s best content. The Good Trade covers everything from fashion and beauty to lifestyle and travel. It’s become a community of women looking to make an impact.
A Lightbulb Moment.
- 25:00 – Amy Ann was first convicted The True Cost. Now, as she receives reader feedback, she’s constantly reminded of the millions of people who care on an individual level about sustainable fashion. She sees how individuals can join together as a collective and become a powerful impetus for change.
Getting To Know Our Guest:
- 30:18 – We quiz Amy Ann on her unusual talents, spirit animals, and favorite cheesy songs. We’ll also travel back in time for a visit with America’s favorite roommates.
A Memorable Moment:
Meet Your Guest:
Amy Ann Cadwell is the Co-Founder and CEO of The Good Trade. She co-founded The Good Trade in Los Angeles in 2014. It’s a digital media and lifestyle brand covering sustainable fashion and lifestyle.
Created for those seeking to live an inspired and intentional life, The Good Trade was built on the fundamental idea that consumers are capable of driving significant social change through their everyday purchases, consumer preferences, and lifestyle choices.
Pinterest: The Good Trade
Your Host: Molly Stillman
Podcast Instagram: @businesswithpurposepodcast
Podcast Facebook: @businesswithpurposepodcast
Click To Subscribe To The “Business With Purpose” Podcast: