Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
How to Choose Stability in a Rootless Age | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 272: Daniel Grothe
My guest this week is Daniel Grothe, associate senior pastor at New Life Church in Colorado Springs. He is the author of Chasing Wisdom and The Power of Place: Choosing Stability in a Rootless Age.
He is a two-time Grammy-nominated musician. He and his wife Lisa live on a hobby farm with their three children. You may remember Daniel. He was on my podcast in 2020, episode 205, and he is one of my favorite interviews of all time. He’s hilarious, kind and wise.
4:40 – Farm updates
- The resident elk herd is moving through right now. They just harvested their 20th cow and sent out another 2,000 pounds of beef.
- Life is full on Quiet Waters Ranch.
13:45 – The Power of Place: Choosing Stability in a Rootless Age
- We live in a divorce culture. It’s easy to be done and leave. We live in a place of impermanence, where everything is replaceable.
- Many people run from little annoyances and idiosyncrasies. But if we submit to where we are, God can make something of us.
22:37 – An age of wanderlust
- We live in a society of great cultural and social dislocation. We are living in an age of wanderlust.
- We have the deepest pockets of any society in history and maybe the loosest roots.
27:42 – Place, worship and people
- National Geographic did a study called the blue zones, pockets of centenarians who lived over 100 years old. They ate a lot of fish, walked a lot, stayed in the same place most of their lives, had a place of worship and had long-term friendships.
- Place, worship and people matter to longevity.
35:32 – The art of place making
- If you’re not in a threatening environment and are having just run of the mill problems, practice the power of place. People are the great purifiers.
- Make where you live wonderful, beautiful, life giving and rich.
- The art of place making – have you created a little nest, a little area where you can be human?
38:46 – Come home to family
- Do your work, go get your money and come on home to your people where you’re safe.
- Life is complex and people are going to frustrate us at work, but come home and feel peace.
- There is a depth of riches to be found in friendship.
43:21 – Sacred canopy of church
- Church can be a sacred canopy to provide joy, safety and protection.
- Submit to your local church
44:25 – Community
- What are you doing to make your community better?
52:07 – Stay in place
- You have all that you need right where you are.
55:33 – Get to know you
- Best concert he’s ever been to? Boyz II Men
- What actor should play him? Jim Carrey
The art of place making – have you created a little nest, a little area where you can be human?
If we submit to where we are, God can make something of us.
We live in a society of great cultural and social dislocation. We are living in an age of wanderlust.
There is a depth of riches to be found in friendship.
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNER OF THE SHOW:
MamaSuds helps label-reading moms create a safe and nontoxic home for their family by creating synthetic free household cleaners. And one of those cleaner is MamaSuds
Fine Linen Soap- which is the best thing since [Pumpkin] – Sliced -Bread
Wash your high-quality sheets, linens, delicates, and organic fabrics with a Fine Linen Soap to keep them looking newer and softer longer.
Use 3-4 capfuls for high-efficiency machines on delicate cycle, 4-6 capfuls for regular machines on delicate cycle.
Head over to MamaSuds.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off your order!