The minutia associated with owning a small business can be excruciating. Especially if you run a non-profit, you’re probably more interested in your passion than you are managing day-to-day activity. Today’s guest is Stephanie Skryzowski, the founder and CEO of 100 Degrees Consulting. As an expert in management and finance, she equips motivated organizations to execute their vision while managing organizational operations.
(Click the featured times below to jump forward in the episode)
Things You Don’t Want To Miss:
Meet Today’s Guest
- 1:40 – Stephanie Skryzowski is the founder and CEO of 100 Degrees Consulting. 100 Degrees Consulting helps purpose-driven leaders better understand and use their financials to make smart decisions for their organizations, so that they can do more and serve more.
The Stephanie 101
- 5:03 – Stephanie just new she was going to become a lawyer. She’d read every John Grisham book, and she majored in Political Science. After college, she even lined up a job at a massive law firm in New York City. However, she quickly realized she was in the wrong place.
- 7:16 – One of Stephanie’s jobs at the law firm was working alongside an organization in Afghanistan. Something about that organization drew her in, and she eventually took a position with them as an operations coordinator.
- 8:20 – On a trip to Afghanistan, she had a lightbulb moment that changed her career trajectory. Her knack for numbers led her down a path that eventually culminated in her starting 100 Degrees Consulting. She wanted to enable nonprofits to achieve their vision while becoming more organizationally sound.
A Need For Help
- 13:00 – Many business owners have a strong vision, but they lack the support necessary to keep their lights on day in and day out. Small business owners and nonprofit directors often need organizational help to maintain the day-to-day flow of activity.
A Fear Of Money
- 16:30 – Money is complicated, and people like to avoid complicated things. Stephanie explains why a fear of numbers tends to keep leaders from becoming organizationally sound.
Hire Where It Hurts
- 18:00 – Perhaps you’ve heard the saying, “Do what you do best, and hire the rest.” Don’t feel like a failure simply because an area of your business is outside of your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You can’t do it all, and it takes a team to accomplish your vision.
Taking It To The Next Level
- 21:38 – Stephanie shares her niche for helping organizations on an aggressive growth trajectory who lack the ability to take their business to the next level on their own. She’s able to answer key questions that add value and help organizations to achieve their goals.
A Cognitive Disconnect
- 25:55 – There’s often a disconnect in a nonprofit’s goals and it’s ability to achieve them. So many organizations have great strategic plans, but they lack the ability to execute them. You have to align your budget with your growth plan.
- 29:36 – The word budget is excruciating to hear, but if you’re starting an organization, your budget is a valuable tool.
- 31:50 – Manage your cash flow. Map out when your cash is coming in, and when it’s going out.
Getting To Know Our Guest:
- 35:11 – Stephanie shares her love for Dave Matthews and urges you to try whacky foods that might put you outside of your comfort zone.
A Memorable Moment:
Meet Your Guest:
Stephanie Skryzowski founded 100 Degrees Consulting in 2015 with the goal of equipping motivated organizations with sound financial management. She holds a Master’s degree in Public Administration from New York University, with a focus on nonprofit management and finance.
Stephanie has spent more than a decade in the nonprofit field. She’s served as the Chief Financial Officer for organizations from $100k – $20m, working in dozens of countries around the world. Having spent the better part of a decade living and working around the world, she learned first hand what it means to function outside of one’s comfort zone. She’s led diverse teams both in the United States and around the world.
LinkedIn: Stephanie Skryzowski
Your Host: Molly Stillman
Podcast Instagram: @businesswithpurposepodcast
Podcast Facebook: @businesswithpurposepodcast
Click To Subscribe To The “Business With Purpose” Podcast: