Leading with Excellence | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 259: Adeyinka Adegbenle
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest today is Adeyinka “Yinka” Adegbenle. She is a former financial services professional turned author, excellence strategist and excellence coach. Her goal and life’s purpose is to equip leaders with transformational habits and systems of excellence.
Yinka believes that excellence is choosing to rise above average or mediocrity. She is releasing a book, Joab: King David’s Top General. It’s all about leadership, personal development and character building.
4:07 – Yinka 101
- Yinka moved to the U.S. from England in 2001 so she could go to graduate school. She had a dream job lined up with one of the largest investment banks in the world.
- In 2009, during the Great Recession, her role was eliminated. She was pregnant with her second child and jobless.
- Her doctor worried about her pregnancy and the amount of anxiety and stress she was under.
- Yinka discovered self-development and living a life of excellence. She learned the habits of excellence.
8:51 – Habits of excellence
- Finances were a huge part of her learning. She wanted to be a better steward of her resources.
- She worked on discipline. If she said she was going to do something, she did it.
12:37 – Discipline
- Time management was the toughest part for Yinka. She was not good at managing her time initially.
14:46 – Time to rest
- You have to be intentional about time to rest. Yinka takes retreats by herself so she can recalibrate and recharge.
- It’s going to be hard for you to show up as the best version of yourself if you’re hustling all the time.
19:33 – Joab: King David’s Top General
- Joab is one of Yinka’s favorite leaders of all time.
- Personal development is key, and you need to take care of yourself in private so you can be better in public.
26:10 – Goals for her book
- Leadership is weighty and comes with huge influence. As a leader, you need to do the work so you have the right traits.
29:54 – On the horizon
- She wants to help clients become better in their personal lives and businesses. She also plans to write another book.
31:38 – Get to know you
- Something you’d never guess about her? She’s an avid baker.
- Signature dish? Banana bread
- Best vacation? Hawaii
We’re not chasing perfection. It’s knowing who you are and then just determining that while you’re on this planet … I’m going to do my best to show up as my best version daily. – Yinka
It was during that journey that I found my calling and got clarity in life. – Yinka
It’s habits that make up who you are. – Yinka
It’s going to be hard for you to show up as the best version of yourself if you’re hustling all the time. – Yinka
- Yinka’s book “Joab, King David’s Top General: Essential Lessons on Character”
Adeyinka Adegbenle MBA, PMI-PMP, is a former financial services professional turned Author, Excellence Strategist and Excellence Coach, and mother of 3. Her goal and life’s purpose are to equip leaders with transformational habits and systems of excellence. Adeyinka has spent years gaining mastery on habits and systems of excellence that continue to yield outstanding results for her. She now teaches these systems and habits to her clients and various organizations.
Yinka’s recently released book “JOAB, KING DAVID’S TOP GENERAL” speaks about leadership, personal development, and character building.
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNERS:
Ready to ditch the bleach forever but can’t find a bleach alternative that actually works? You’ve got to meet this Extra Strength Oxygen Powder by MamaSuds. It launches July 15th and I’ve had the chance to try it out early and I love it so much! It really tackles the dirt and odor in our clothes. And as usual there are multiple uses for this new product. Not only is it a laundry booster and stain remover, but it’s a great scouring agent on any non-porous surface. If you head to their website and sign up for their email list you’ll get an email with an early bird special coupon when oxygen powder launches PLUS use discount code MOLLY and get an EXTRA 15% off! www.mamasuds.com
Speaking of stories behind brands that change the world, I’d like to introduce you to Deux Mains. In French, Deux Mains means two hands. Why ‘two-hands’? Because everything they create is made by trained artisans who use their two hands to make their life better while crafting beautiful products.
Truly, this is a company that set out to change lives and make a positive impact in the world. It started when the founder, Julie, wanted to create dignified jobs in Haiti, a place she was growing to love, and that was exploding with creativity. She wanted to share this talent with the world.
Julie set up an educational program to train people with artisan skills and then went on to build a factory that operates on 100% solar energy. Deux Mains now employs more than 40 artisans that handcraft premium leather goods, jewelry and sandals. Their lives are forever changed by their craft.
What’s also cool is their products incorporate an eco-friendly twist, working with responsibly sourced materials and repurposed inner-tube and tires in their designs.
When you buy from Deux Mains, you get to be part of a movement that is making a difference in the world, while adding an incredibly well-made piece to your closet that supports conscious living!
You can discover their products online at deuxmains.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off!