From Starting in a Kitchen to Creating a National Skincare Brand | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 289: Bethany McDaniel, Primally Pure
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest this week is Bethany McDaniel, founder of Primally Pure, which creates natural skin care products using real ingredients derived from nature for maximum purity and potency.
Founder, farmer’s wife, mama bear, matcha lover and bath taker, Bethany is the heartbeat and hard work behind the brand. When her family spontaneously started a beyond organic livestock farm in Southern California called Primal Pastures, she discovered the power of eating real food and her eyes were opened to a new world of wellness.
Bethany subsequently purged her bathroom cabinets of toxic conventional skincare products and began formulating her own replacements with pure, simple ingredients.
4:20 – Bethany 101
- Bethany started her business in 2015 and started experimenting with natural skincare products that wouldn’t irritate her skin.
- She had irritated, acne-prone skin issues growing up.
7:19 – Researching her beauty routine
- She was exposed to the world of natural health through her husband and his family. They focused on eating whole foods, not processed foods, and it opened her eyes.
- Eating better increased her energy and made her healthier. It made her wonder about her skincare and cleaning products.
- Just because something is sold on the shelf at the supermarket or the drug store doesn’t mean that it’s safe, and in fact most of the ingredients in these products have never been tested.
13:23 – Where she started
- Using trial and error, she tested a lot of deodorant recipes.
- She started out mixing coconut oil and baking soda for deodorant and began adding other ingredients, such as beeswax and shea butter.
20:26 – The farm
- Bethany’s family started a farm and began with raising chickens.
- They watched YouTube videos and all chipped in with farm chores.
27:23 – Overcoming analysis paralysis
- If you’re not ready to dive into clean brands, there are still things you can do at home, such as DIY recipes.
- You can make DIY deodorant, cleansing oil, dry shampoo, etc. using ingredients you already have in your home.
31:24 – Challenging times
- Growing a team and managing people has been a challenge, especially because she had never managed anyone before.
- Ask yourself: Can I afford to learn this or should I bring someone on to do this work?
36:10 – Clean product imposters
- Natural beauty has become trendy, and a lot of companies use sneaky marketing to make their product sound natural.
- Watch out for products that say “all-natural,” “made with shea butter” or “made with coconut oil,” for example.
- Look at the ingredient list, especially the first five ingredients.
41:05 – What’s next?
- This year, they’re focused on hiring more people for the team and new sun care products for a 2023 launch.
45:09 – Get to know you
- Favorite Primally Pure product? Deodorant and cleansing oil
- Guilty pleasure? Bridgerton books
We’re always just encouraging people to go at whatever pace feels good to them. Every little change that is implemented is making a difference.
There’s no rush to detoxify everything all at once.
Just because something is sold on the shelf at the supermarket or the drug store doesn’t mean that it’s safe.
Ultimately, we are a company that cares about the health of our community and the people that we serve.
ABOUT BETHANY MCDANIEL:
Having used all sorts of harsh prescription creams and pills to treat her acne as a teenager and young adult (and dealing with red, raw, irritated skin as a result), Bethany McDaniel was blown away by the effects she eventually experienced after ditching the harsh chemicals and replacing them with simple and natural ingredients. Bethany’s journey inspired her to start Primally Pure (with an initial $250 order for ingredients + supplies) to help others experience the benefits of using clean products. In addition to spending time at the PP Workshop and Spa envisioning new product ideas, Bethany is passionate about all things faith, clean living and biohacking. She loves sharing the knowledge she has gained with others – as well as taking regular getaways with her family to reset and refresh. Bethany is the Founder of Primally Pure and lives in Southern California with her husband and two daughters.
Thank you to our partner of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!