Shoes For Kids, Created By a Kid | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 236: Carter Waugh, Critts Shoes
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
Think back to when you were a kid. Do you remember your flip-flops falling off and scraping your feet along the concrete? Guess what? Kids still have this problem.
My guest today took his own footwear problem and decided to actually do something about it. Carter Waugh, 11, is the founder of Critts, a customizable flip-flop clog hybrid designed for running, jumping and climbing. His dad, Ryan, also joins us for the interview.
2:53 – Carter 101
- He loves lacrosse, skateboarding, golf, tennis, sometimes basketball, and, of course, designing shoes.
- Carter was on a family vacation in the Caribbean. He wasn’t happy with his flip-flops or Crocs and asked his dad, Ryan, if he could design his own shoe, called a Flip Critt.
- His dad told him to create a business plan.
5:30 – Ryan’s reaction
- Ryan was amazed by his son’s business plan and drawing and his emotional intelligence
9:50 – How Carter designed the Flip Critt
- Carter didn’t realize how time consuming and difficult it would be to design a shoe
- He met with a Los Angeles shoe consultant, who helped with the process, and then met with manufacturing consultants in China
19:02 – What Carter has learned
- At first, Carter thought, “Wham, bam, I’m done.” But the shoe-making process took longer than he realized.
- “At first I was just like, ‘It’s a cool idea. I might not be able to do it. I mean, I’m like 8. Who makes a shoe when they’re 8?’ But once I got into it, I started liking shoes. I started liking them a lot.”
- Besides learning a lot about shoes, he has also learned a lot about doing interviews and talking with adults.
23:18 – What Carter’s parents have learned
- Ryan said he has learned more from his son than his son has learned from him.
- He says his son is a special human who sees the good in everybody and everything around him.
- Carter’s initial mission statement was: “To spread happiness, safety and security to all critters.”
26:22 – Carter’s methods
- Carter’s approach to life is refreshing and fascinating, according to his dad.
- He wants the business to be simple so people can enjoy his shoes.
32:02 – Critts Cares
- Carter has created Critts Cares. Every time someone buys a pair of Critts shoes, $2 goes back to his old elementary school.
33:45 – Get to know Carter
- What song hypes him up? Lil Nas X, Holiday
- What actor should play him? Someone with orange hair, obviously
“This was a real life thing, organically, that came out of the mind of an 8-year-old that was like, ‘Wow!’” – Ryan
“After a while, like two years, I finally perfected it to what I have today. And now I’m selling it and hearing tons of feedback on it … and a lot of people love it.” – Carter
“At first I was just like, ‘It’s a cool idea. I might not be able to do it. I mean, I’m like 8. Who makes a shoe when they’re 8?’ But once I got into it, I started liking shoes. I started liking them a lot.” – Carter
Founder, visionary and overall goofball is a talented 11 year old named Carter “Critt” Waugh. He is a very active leader with an active imagination. He loves sports and is a talented lacrosse attackman. He loves his friends, his family and basically he loves anything that gets him dirty and sweaty. He has been the perfect test subject for his creation.
Thank you to our partner of the show, MamaSuds!
How much time do you spend reading labels? A lot right? MamaSuds would like to help you take the stress of research out of your life with their truly safe, non-toxic household cleaning collection. They have everything you need to keep your family and your home clean and safe. If you’ve seen my Instagram Stories, you know I love their laundry soap! The best part is that they use plants and minerals to make their products- NOTHING SYNTHETIC. The head mama at MamaSuds is Michelle Smith and she has spent a crazy amount of time tracking down exceptional ingredients so they are not only safe for you and your family but sustainable for the planet. MamaSuds wants to inspire you to live a smart, healthy and sustainable life that brings you joy and peace of mind. Try them out at www.mamasuds.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
Leave a comment below with something you learned from this episode.