From Serial Entrepreneur to Non-profit Powerhouse | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 325: Cary Heise, Designed for Joy
My guest this week is Cary Heise, executive director and founder of Designed for Joy, which provides women in crisis with stability through employment and support.
Cary grew up in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and has lived most of her adult life in Raleigh. Her faith and international mission experience working with women’s artisan co-ops in Central America and Africa inspired the birth of Designed For Joy.
Cary is a serial entrepreneur and has founded small several businesses around creating community for women in the Raleigh area. She is a big believer in encouraging women to pursue their passion.
2:41 – Cary 101
- Cary is married and has two teenagers.
- She works with about 20 other nonprofits in her area to help women in difficult situations.
- She sells jewelry, bags and home décor.
- Her company is five years old, and she has hired 97 women.
7:27 – Becoming an entrepreneur
- When her kids were toddlers, she was a stay-at-home mom but kept creating businesses.
- Cary is thankful for her mistakes and wins, because they have made her more confident.
11:15 – Growing pains
- Her first two months in business, she felt overwhelmed and realized she had some growing to do.
21:03 – Devotion and prayer
- Her business starts with devotion and prayer, but you don’t have to be religious to work with them.
- Cary helps women trust each other again.
- Some women need to earn more money. Others need help with mental health, childcare, etc.
31:43 – Same fears, worries, anxieties
- Many of the women they work with have the same fears, worries and anxieties.
43:55 – Get to know you
- Something memorable that happened in the past year? Seeing her teens dating, driving and applying for college.
- Something she did that people wouldn’t know? She skied the Alps.
You’re important here. We need you. You bring value to the workplace.
I’m so thankful for all those little mistakes or wins, because they make me so much more confident now.
You do not have to be a believer of Christ to work with us.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!