How to Take Back Your Time | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 263: Christy Wright
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest this week is Christy Wright, a #1 national best-selling author, personal development expert and host of The Christy Wright Show. Since 2009, she has worked at Ramsey Solutions. Her new book, Take Back Your Time: The Guilt-Free Guide to Life Balance, is being released Sept. 14. It’s a guilt-free guide to life balance.
3:50 – Christy 101
- For the past 10 years, Christy has helped women start small businesses. She has been expanding beyond business and helping people in personal development.
- She’s also a mom to three kids – 6, 4 and 1.
6:45 – Entrepreneurship
- Christy was raised by a single mom who was an entrepreneur, and Christy started her own businesses.
- An influx of people started online businesses, but they didn’t have any business background, so Christy began helping them.
- Eventually, she wanted to teach about more than just business.
13:20 – Work-life balance
- In 11 years of being a public speaker, the number one question she’s asked is about work-life balance.
- She began trying to find solutions to the work-life balance question people asked.
- What we really need is different than what we think we need.
19:03 – A different definition
- Christy says she defines balance in the book but says it’s not a warm, fuzzy thing.
- It’s about doing the right things at the right time. She defines the path to balance.
21:32 – Root causes of imbalance
- Four things keep us from doing the right things at the right time – doing too many things, not doing enough things, doing the wrong things, and not doing the right things.
25:33 – Losing yourself
- You don’t lose yourself overnight. It’s a little at a time. Life gets busy. You’ve got kids who need snacks.
- Ask yourself: What is important to you? This can differ depending on the season you’re in.
- Christy wants to help people get their time back and get back to who they are in the process.
34:59 – The path to balance
- Step 1: Figure out what matters
- Step 2: Stop doing what doesn’t matter
- Step 3: Create a calendar that reflects what matters
- Step 4: Protect what matters
- Step 5: Be present for what matters
41:35 – Feel like you’re failing?
- Women often say they feel like they’re failing, but they’re not, they’re just always focused on the place where they’re not.
47:19 – Dangerous messages
- There are two somewhat dangerous messages out there. One, in the faith world, is the dangerous message of submission. Two, in the personal development world, is the dangerous message that women should focus only on themselves.
52:17 – Get to know you
- Her hype song? Anything by Black Eyed Peas
- Unusual talent? She can say the alphabet backwards
What if balance isn’t something you do, what if it’s something you create?
I wrote the book I needed.
I started having a desire to teach on more than just business.
You don’t lose yourself overnight. It’s a little at a time. Life gets busy. You’ve got kids who need snacks.
I want to help people get their time back and get back to who they are in the process.
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNERS:
Ready to ditch the bleach forever but can’t find a bleach alternative that actually works? You’ve got to meet this Extra Strength Oxygen Powder by MamaSuds. It launches July 15th and I’ve had the chance to try it out early and I love it so much! It really tackles the dirt and odor in our clothes. And as usual there are multiple uses for this new product. Not only is it a laundry booster and stain remover, but it’s a great scouring agent on any non-porous surface. If you head to their website and sign up for their email list you’ll get an email with an early bird special coupon when oxygen powder launches PLUS use discount code MOLLY and get an EXTRA 15% off! www.mamasuds.com
Speaking of stories behind brands that change the world, I’d like to introduce you to Deux Mains. In French, Deux Mains means two hands. Why ‘two-hands’? Because everything they create is made by trained artisans who use their two hands to make their life better while crafting beautiful products.
Truly, this is a company that set out to change lives and make a positive impact in the world. It started when the founder, Julie, wanted to create dignified jobs in Haiti, a place she was growing to love, and that was exploding with creativity. She wanted to share this talent with the world.
Julie set up an educational program to train people with artisan skills and then went on to build a factory that operates on 100% solar energy. Deux Mains now employs more than 40 artisans that handcraft premium leather goods, jewelry and sandals. Their lives are forever changed by their craft.
What’s also cool is their products incorporate an eco-friendly twist, working with responsibly sourced materials and repurposed inner-tube and tires in their designs.
When you buy from Deux Mains, you get to be part of a movement that is making a difference in the world, while adding an incredibly well-made piece to your closet that supports conscious living!
You can discover their products online at deuxmains.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off!