The 7 Habits for Exponential Spiritual Growth | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 261: Justin Kendrick, Pastor of VOX Church
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest today is Justin Kendrick, the lead pastor of Vox Church, which he founded in 2011 with a small group of friends on the doorstep of Yale University. Since then, Vox has grown to multiple locations across New England. Justin’s newest book, “Bury Your Ordinary: Practical Habits of a Heart Fully Alive,” walks you through seven different habits to live the life that you were created to live.
3:30 – Justin 101
- Justin is 38 and lives in the northeast. He grew up in a typical home and had an encounter with God as a teenager that changed his life.
- His dad dragged him to an urban, inner city church, and it was the first time he heard about God’s grace. The whole direction of his life changed.
- In 2008-09, he and his wife dreamed about starting a church. Vox Church turns 10 this September.
10:11 – Bury Your Ordinary
- Justin heard the voice of the Holy Spirit in his heart.
- You need to ask yourself what your plan is for spiritual growth. It’s growth in love, and that can seem ambiguous.
- It’s not how many Bible verses you know. It’s about habits. Justin’s book helps people grow in their love for God.
20:40 – Spend time with God
- You need to spend time alone with God regularly. Try spending the first hour alone with Him.
- Jesus is not at the center for a lot of us, and we need to keep him there.
- You don’t do these habits so God likes you more. You do them so you can learn to love God more.
30:40 – Most difficult habit
- Habit 6, a weekly Sabbath, was the most difficult. Everybody in Justin’s area walks, talks, drives and moves fast. Taking a break to pause and pray felt very unnatural.
- That time to rest is so important for your soul. There are seasons for harvest, and there are seasons for rest.
43:05 – The idea of grace
- No matter what religion you practice, grace is so important.
- God deeply loves you. Don’t obey God to be accepted. You are fully accepted, so that should make you want to obey God.
46:54 – Get to know you
- What would Justin want to win an Olympic medal in? Basketball
- Best vacation ever? Mexico with his wife
We had always seen church as a profoundly boring and irrelevant part of the culture of New England. So we started dreaming about what it would look like to start a church for our friends.
I heard the voice of the Holy Spirit in my heart.
If you don’t have a plan for spiritual growth, it really won’t grow.
About Justin Kendrick:
Justin Kendrick is the lead pastor of Vox Church, which he founded in 2011 with a small group of friends on the doorstep of Yale University. Since then, Vox has grown to multiple locations across New England. The dream of Vox Church is to see the least-churched region of the U.S. become the most spiritually vibrant place on earth. Justin and his wife live outside New Haven, Connecticut with their four children.
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNERS:
Ready to ditch the bleach forever but can’t find a bleach alternative that actually works? You’ve got to meet this Extra Strength Oxygen Powder by MamaSuds. It launches July 15th and I’ve had the chance to try it out early and I love it so much! It really tackles the dirt and odor in our clothes. And as usual there are multiple uses for this new product. Not only is it a laundry booster and stain remover, but it’s a great scouring agent on any non-porous surface. If you head to their website and sign up for their email list you’ll get an email with an early bird special coupon when oxygen powder launches PLUS use discount code MOLLY and get an EXTRA 15% off! www.mamasuds.com
Speaking of stories behind brands that change the world, I’d like to introduce you to Deux Mains. In French, Deux Mains means two hands. Why ‘two-hands’? Because everything they create is made by trained artisans who use their two hands to make their life better while crafting beautiful products.
Truly, this is a company that set out to change lives and make a positive impact in the world. It started when the founder, Julie, wanted to create dignified jobs in Haiti, a place she was growing to love, and that was exploding with creativity. She wanted to share this talent with the world.
Julie set up an educational program to train people with artisan skills and then went on to build a factory that operates on 100% solar energy. Deux Mains now employs more than 40 artisans that handcraft premium leather goods, jewelry and sandals. Their lives are forever changed by their craft.
What’s also cool is their products incorporate an eco-friendly twist, working with responsibly sourced materials and repurposed inner-tube and tires in their designs.
When you buy from Deux Mains, you get to be part of a movement that is making a difference in the world, while adding an incredibly well-made piece to your closet that supports conscious living!
You can discover their products online at deuxmains.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off!