How to Own Your Expertise| Business with Purpose Podcast EP 318: Jane Hanson, Journalist
My guest this week is Jane Hanson, an Emmy award winning television journalist and coach who has spent over 30 years helping people learn to communicate better. She focuses on three core elements: what you say, how you say it, and how your body language keeps it all in sync.
Jane has hosted programs on cable channels and private satellite broadcasts, covering nearly every subject, from healthcare to food to finance to religion. And she is a frequent speaker, emcee, host, and panel moderator.
3:50 – Jane 101
- She’s a communications coach and speaker and worked for NBC Networks in New York for almost 30 years.
- Jane grew up in a rural town in Minnesota and moved to New York City, where she felt embraced by the city and its people.
- Her father was an incredible inspiration and read newspaper articles to Jane when she was little.
12:55 – Being a minor celebrity
- Being on TV made her a minor celebrity, and she had to develop a thick skin when people said unkind things.
- She got to interview some of the most interesting people in the world, but the hours were long and she saw some horrific things.
15:10 – Technology changes
- Jane saw many technology changes in TV over the years. When she began, they didn’t have cellphones and laptops.
- She reveled in watching technology’s development and always wanted to be at the very front of it.
25:19 – Stories that stuck with her
- Jane was the first reporter on air at NBC on Sept. 11, 2001. She showed live footage and talked with a janitor who witnessed what happened.
- She was on the air for almost 8 hours straight on 9/11.
- Jane was interviewing Desmond Tutu when he found out he won the Nobel Peace Prize.
32:36 – Coaching women
- Some of the most prominent women in the world tell Jane that when they walk into a boardroom full of men, they feel like they’re in kindergarten.
- Jane often feels like a shrink and has to coach women to be more confident.
- We need to be better advocates for our own abilities. You have to own your expertise.
55:07 – Get to know you
- Strangest pet peeve? People who are late.
- Memorable moment from past year? Traveling to South Africa
I reveled in watching technology’s development, and I always wanted to be at the very front of it.
Some of the most prominent women in the world tell me that when they walk into a boardroom full of men, they feel like they’re in kindergarten.
Many times I almost feel like I am a shrink that I am trying to instill self-confidence in women.
We need to be better advocates for our own abilities. You have to own your expertise.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!