The Value of Caring for Clients & Employees | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 329: John Stillman
This week is a very special one because it’s one of the last official episodes of “Business with Purpose” before we transition to a new name and new brand. Next week’s episode will have all the details about what this show will look like in 2023.
This week, I’m happy to be joined by my husband, John Stillman. He is a business owner and an incredible person who uses his business for good.
5:16 – John 101
- John is a financial advisor and his office is in a barn at our house.
- He went to journalism school and wanted to be on the radio. He eventually realized people in radio don’t make much money.
- John eventually started his own media company and became a financial advisor.
9:25 – Financial lessons from grandfathers
- John always had a knack for managing his finances. He’s not inclined to spend money. He put 20% down when he bought his first house.
- His grandfathers dealt with money very differently, but their lessons taught John how to handle money.
15:04 – From radio to financial advisor
- While interviewing financial advisors on the radio, John realized he had learned a lot about the topic and could do the job himself.
17:16 – Unique relationships with clients
- John has very unique relationships with his clients. He not only cares about their financial futures, he cares about their lives.
- Several clients have told John, “Man, you’re almost like my therapist.”
24:25 – Give real advice
- A lot of people in the financial advisory world really approach it as a sales job.
- John prefers to give people real, helpful advice and not be a salesman.
27:39 – Taking care of employees
- John is motivated to take care of his employees and wants to put more money in the pockets of those who work for him.
- He has always liked to be the person taking care of people.
- Your people are an investment.
33:00 – Long-term vision
- John isn’t great with long-term vision because things change so quickly that it’s hard to look out 10 years.
- His medium-term goal is to have another advisor working with him.
- When figuring out whether he’ll take on a client, John asks himself if he likes them and can help them.
When John comes on my show, ratings skyrocket. – Molly
I’ve had several people say, “Man, you’re almost like my therapist.”
I had one lady who told me after her divorce, “You’ve been more helpful in helping me process this and move on then my therapist has.”
A lot of people in the financial advisory world really approach it as a sales job.
I’ve always liked to be the person taking care of people. Your people are an investment.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!