Creating a People Matter Culture in the Workplace | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 308: Josh Block, Block Imaging
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest today is Josh Block, president of Block Imaging, a second generation family business in Lansing, Mich., specializing in refurbished imaging equipment, parts, engineering service and mobile solutions.
A few areas Josh focuses heavily on are: fostering a culture where people thrive and in turn serve and bring value to the healthcare community; inviting people into investing in a worthy mission and writing an uncommon story; and challenging, encouraging, and equipping people to become more capable than they would have ever imagined.
Aside from work, Josh enjoys being a husband and dad, playing golf, traveling, and playing the guitar.
5:11 – Josh 101
- He turned 40 last September and feels like he has transitioned to the second half of life.
- Josh has 165 team members in Lansing and spread around the world.
10:55 – Thrust into leadership
- Josh experienced forced humility when he was thrust into a leadership position.
- He knew nothing about their Japan operation.
- He had to come in and ask for help and be humble.
- In Josh’s experience, running a large business is easier than a small business.
16:07 – Company culture
- Treat others as you’d like to be treated. Eventually, treat others as they’d like to be treated.
- The three Ts his company lives by – make thoughtful decisions, be transparent and be together.
23:48 – Helping other companies
- Common things others companies struggle with are keeping info private, bosses making decisions all on their own and not being thoughtful.
35:40 – Working on a book
- Josh is working on a book about leadership and creating a “people matter” culture.
44:06 – Get to know you
- Favorite TV show as a kid? Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince of Bel Air
- Favorite meal? Qdoba or Chipotle burrito bowl
I think running a large business has some things that are easier than running a small business.
We believe that people matter more than anything.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!