Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
How to Go From Paycheck to Purpose | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 275: Ken Coleman, Author & Radio Host
My guest this week is Ken Coleman, the #1 national bestselling author of The Proximity Principle and nationally syndicated host of The Ken Coleman Show.
Pulling from his own personal struggles, missed opportunities and career successes, Ken helps people discover what they were born to do and provides practical steps to make their dream job a reality.
The Ken Coleman Show is a caller-driven career show that helps listeners who are stuck in a job they hate or searching for something more out of their career. His latest book, From Paycheck to Purpose, was released in November.
4:02 – Ken 101
- Being a husband and father is Ken’s priority in life, but his career is not far behind.
5:25 – How he got here
- Ken is a pastor’s kid, and his dad told him he was created to do something with his life.
- There was a glaring need that he grew up with – that he had to figure out what God’s will for his life is.
- He wanted to be a politician with a background in business and leadership. He eventually lost his passion for that kind of work.
15:06 – From Paycheck to Purpose
- When you feel lost or stuck in your life and career, it feels all consuming. Ken discovered he had a passion for broadcasting and communication.
- He began working for Ramsey Solutions and helping people through his show.
- He finally realized if he wanted to drive transformation in people’s lives, he needed to give them a clear path.
28:16 – Finding meaningful work
- The pandemic created a great resignation as people sought meaning in their lives and careers.
- People were forced to face their mortality and the preciousness of life. They began asking themselves what they want to do with their lives.
41:15 – Words of wisdom
- What does Ken say to people who hate their job and feel stuck? Focus on facts, not feelings. Figure out what skills you have acquired and what knowledge you have gained.
- You can build on the skills you have, no matter your age.
- You will sabotage yourself if you keep looking back at your past jobs. Keeping looking up at the mountaintop of your dreams.
45:13 – Get to know you
- His most played song? Elevation Worship’s Wait on You
- Who would play him in a movie? Jason Sudeikis
- True generosity he has witnessed? Dave Ramsey gave away more than $1 million
What do I want to do with the rest of my life? What other changes do I want to make? Life’s too short to just go get a paycheck.
There was a glaring need that I grew up with. I gotta figure out what God’s will for my life is.
If you’re driving transformation, people need a clear path.
ABOUT KEN COLEMAN:
Ken Coleman is America’s Career Coach, the nationally syndicated radio host of The Ken Coleman Show and No. 1 bestselling author. He has been featured in Forbes, appeared on Fox News, Fox Business Network, and the Rachel Ray Show. Since 2014, he has served at Ramsey Solutions, where he offers expert advice to help thousands of people every day discover what they were meant to do and how to land their dream job. Follow Ken on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube or at kencoleman.com.
Thank you to our partner of the show:
MamaSuds helps label-reading moms create a safe and nontoxic home for their family by creating synthetic free household cleaners. And one of those cleaner is MamaSuds
Fine Linen Soap- which is the best thing since Sliced Bread.
Wash your high-quality sheets, linens, delicates, and organic fabrics with a Fine Linen Soap to keep them looking newer and softer longer.
Use 3-4 capfuls for high-efficiency machines on delicate cycle, 4-6 capfuls for regular machines on delicate cycle.
Head over to MamaSuds.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off your order!