Embracing A Second Chance at Life | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 307: Marcy Gregg
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest today is Marcy Gregg, an abstract oil painter, author, speaker and survivor. Her life changed forever in 1990 at age 30 after a serious complication arose during the birth of her third child, leaving her in a coma with little hope to survive.
Marcy miraculously woke up days later, only to believe she was 17 years old. Much of her memory was gone and she was left with the daunting task of rebuilding her identity in a life she did not recognize.
Marcy was determined to make the most of her second chance at life and eventually found herself picking up a paintbrush. In sharing her life story on various stages and in living rooms across the nation, Marcy seeks to inspire others by finding beauty in the abstract, both in life and art.
Her book, Blank Canvas, was published on May 24.
4:28 – Marcy 101
- She is a professional artist, mother of three, grandmother of four and one on the way.
- Marcy lives in Charlotte, and her paintings are on display across the country.
5:15 – In a coma
- After Marcy had her third baby, she fell into a coma. Doctors told her husband that if she woke up, she likely wouldn’t be the same.
- She finally woke up and believed she was 17 years old.
12:38 – Gifts from God
- Even though she lost years of memories, she was able to remember her husband from when they were teenagers.
- When Marcy’s three kids came to visit her in the hospital and she held them, she knew they were hers.
16:30 – Praying for memories
- Marcy prayed for God to return her memories. Her body was healed but her mind wasn’t.
- She got angry at God and turned to alcohol. She drank to forget what she couldn’t remember.
24:50 – Walk of honesty
- Beginning her walk of honesty, Marcy told her family about her drinking problem.
- She woke up one morning and had a desire to paint.
27:58 – Her painting journey
- Marcy had no memory of taking painting in college. She became an artist in residence and painted in a studio.
- A passion for color and oil painting grew within her.
- Although what happened to her has been difficult, Marcy believes God is the master artist of her life.
36:35 – Blank Canvas
- People asked Marcy to write a book about her life, but she never felt called to do it.
- A friend had a dream that Marcy was supposed to write this book.
40:29 – Get to know you
- Favorite meal? Grilled salmon and broccoli
- Art influence? It comes naturally
I knew I had to let go and trust Him no matter what.
I really surrendered my will to God’s will.
I began to really trust God with the no-matter-what’s.
I drank to forget what I couldn’t remember.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!