How to Make Peace a Practice | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 286: Morgan Harper Nichols, Arist, Poet, & Author
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest this week is the popular Instagram poet and artist Morgan Harper Nichols. She has created her life’s work around the stories of others.
In 2017, Morgan started a project where she invites people to submit their stories to her website. From there, she creates art as a response to their stories and sends it to them before sharing the work publicly. All stories and names are kept private.
The fruit of this project is shared daily around social media, in publications, and various creative collaborations and installations.
3:26 – Morgan 101
- Morgan lives in Arizona and is an artist and writer. She has moved around the country trying to figure out her life.
- She was constantly broke and exhausted in her 20s.
6:55 – Childhood confidence
- Morgan loves learning from kids. She has a 2-year-old and constantly learns from him.
- She encourages people to tap into childhood confidence and joy.
14:08 – Painting with words
- Morgan remembers growing up and feeling conflicted. She saw people who were great public speakers.
- She was drawn to storytelling and connecting with people, but she didn’t feel like she had the skillset to do that.
- Now she paints with words.
20:38 – Natural storytellers
- We are natural storytellers. Give yourself grace, and you can find your own path.
24:00 – Expressing gratitude
- Morgan’s art and poetry is her way of expressing gratitude.
- If you’re feeling frustrated and low self worth, go and respond to someone and just say thank you. Thank you for liking this post, for leaving this comment, etc.
30:55 – Peace is a Practice book
- The struggle of her ancestors and the struggles of the world inform her poetry.
- Small practices, like making art, help create room to breathe in life.
36:06 – Peace in the midst of pain
- We get to these points in our life where we suddenly become aware that, oh wait, I have options. There’s a way I can choose to look at this.
48:28 – Get to know you
- Biggest guilty pleasure? Donuts
- What makes her laugh? TikTok
A lot of what I share comes from that place of me trying to nurture how I’ve been uniquely created amidst all of those inner critics.
Lean into those simple things that end up being empowering.
If you’re feeling frustrated and low self worth, go and respond to someone and just say thank you.
We get to these points in our life where we suddenly become aware that, oh wait, I have options. There’s a way I can choose to look at this.
ABOUT MORGAN HARPER NICHOLS:
Popular Instagram poet and artist Morgan Harper Nichols has created her life’s work around the stories of others. Morgan’s popular Instagram feed (@morganharpernichols) has garnered a loyal online community of over two million, and she is the author of “All Along You Were Blooming”, a book of poems and art she created in response to the personal stories submitted by her friends and followers. She also hosts a podcast, The Morgan Harper Nichols Show, where she shares daily reflections on finding meaning and peace in life and work. Morgan has also performed as a vocalist on several GRAMMY-nominated projects and written for various artists, including a Billboard #1 single performed by her sister, Jamie-Grace. Morgan’s iconic Instagram art has inspired millions and landed her brand partnerships with Anthropologie, Coach, Adobe, Vogue Singapore, Aerie, Target, Starbucks, Kind Bar, GAP, Splendid, John Paul Mitchell, and more. Morgan is often on the road creating, teaching, and performing, in hopes of spreading her unique inspirational message and inviting others into her creative process. Morgan currently resides in Phoenix, Arizona, with her husband and son. Her latest book, Peace is a Practice: An Invitation to Breathe Deep and Find a New Rhythm for Life, will be available nationwide February 15, 2022.
Thank you to our partner of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!