When Collaboration Over Competition Really Happens | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 322: Jessica Honegger & Liz Bohannon, Noonday Collection
My guests this week are Jessica Honegger and Liz Bohannon. Jessica is the author of Imperfect Courage and founder of the socially conscious fashion brand Noonday Collection.
Liz is the founder of Sseko Designs, an ethical fashion brand that works to educate and empower women. She is also the newly named chief growth officer of Noonday Collection.
Today we’re talking about the merge heard around the fair trade world that happened this summer when Noonday Collection and Sseko Designs came together. Jessica and Liz have been on the show before, but today’s conversation will be extra special.
6:05 – Jessica 201
- Jessica’s company is a one-stop fully ethical shop that creates opportunities for artisans living in some of the world’s most vulnerable places.
- She is a mom of three and has a book, a podcast and a love of queso and margaritas.
7:20 – Liz 201
- She joined Noonday and is working to grow the company’s global artisan impact and community of entrepreneurs in the U.S.
- Liz believes every girl should have the opportunity to learn and to lead.
- She has three young boys and also loves queso and margaritas.
17:22 – Counterculture
- Liz and Jessica are living counter culturally by working together instead of competing against each other.
- They spent many hours having difficult conversations about how to merge their businesses.
- Their business cares for women around the world.
32:23 – Going into business together
- Long ago, I felt like Liz and Jessica should go into business together but never told them.
- Their work is a beautiful testament to who they are.
40:35 – A faithful, consistent partner
- 11 years ago, Liz hired Agnes “Aggie” Netunze, of Uganda, as an intern. She later became the company’s general manager.
- Aggie has been the most faithful, consistent work partner Liz has ever had.
- Aggie is now the majority owner of Sseko Uganda.
46:16 – Running a business with purpose
- Liz and Jessica are leaning into their shared purpose.
- They are using business to create opportunities for women by staying curious and gritty and open.
Every girl should have the opportunity to learn and to lead. – Liz
This is why women should run the world. You can do hard things. – Liz
Our business is what cares for so many women around the world. – Jessica
You don’t know what God is doing. Someday we’ll get to see the full picture. – Jessica
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!