Why Community Focus Matters | EP 328: Rob Lee Andrews, CommunityWorks
My guest this week is Rob Lee Andrews, president and CEO of CommunityWorks, a company that empowers the unemployed and those with barriers to employment to become self-supporting through job preparation and placement.
Rob is a published author and a serial social entrepreneur whose life mission is to align businesses with peoples’ needs, to keep money in communities, and to empower others to create social change in minute and then massive ways.
Since 1995, CommunityWorks has provided customized hands-on training, immersive experiences and comprehensive connections to every job-seeker who walks through their doors.
3:02 – Rob 101
- Rob was born and grew up in Colorado Springs with four siblings.
- He played in the Canadian football league, but realized he wanted to work with the community and give back.
4:48 – Expanding
- Rob became CEO of CommunityWorks and has been trying to expand it beyond Colorado.
5:50 – Beyond football
- On Sept. 30, 2006, Rob broke several bones and was depressed because he realized his football career could be over.
- As he recovered, God helped him realize football wasn’t his life’s passion.
12:14 – In the community
- People who work for the company have to be working in the community and helping neighbors.
- Ask yourself: What is the one thing I can do in this moment to impact somebody else?
20:09 – Misconceptions and myths
- Rob’s company serves people who were previously incarcerated, those on food assistance, needy families, veterans and people who are 50 or older.
- People who were incarcerated don’t want to reoffend. They want opportunity.
- People in these groups face stigma.
27:04 – What’s next?
- Transportation is a major problem, and they are trying to find solutions.
- Single moms also struggle, especially with daycare.
33:21 – Get to know you
- Something memorable from the past year? Getting engaged.
- Something we wouldn’t guess about him? He’s a writer.
Because of Covid, folks were forced to be an entrepreneur.
We’re in the community every step of the way. We are constantly working with our neighbors. That’s how change really happens.
What is the one thing I can do in this moment to impact somebody else?
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!