My guest this week is Stephanie Flies, who is passionate about building local communities. She is the Founder & Director of City Mom Collective, growing the network after founding its original site, Scottsdale Moms Blog, in 2009.
Now living in the greater Minneapolis area, she oversees the national network by spearheading growth strategies, sales initiatives, and shepherding and encouraging an ever-increasing number of moms managing individual local parenting websites.
She is married to Alan and is the mom to three girls, Nora, Elsie, and Audrey.
4:02 – Stephanie 101
- Stephanie has a passion for gathering people.
- Even in middle school, she wanted to help people get together.
- Her girls are 13, 11 and 9.
11:42 – A social introvert
- A few years ago, Stephanie was feeling down and not herself. She realized she wasn’t seeing her close circle of friends very often and wasn’t serving others with her gifts.
- Service of community, while we’re serving other people, it refills us back.
- Stephanie calls herself a social introvert.
19:35 – Connecting during the pandemic
- When the pandemic began, they were still connecting people online.
- Local events changed a lot, and they followed local rules for gathering.
23:35 – Deep roots of happiness
- People often think they will be happier when they get (fill in the blank). But you need deep roots and family.
- Social media fuels wanderlust.
- Stephanie’s business uses social media for good.
- The only people you don’t have a lot of choice about is your neighbors and your birth family. Those are usually the most intentional people God put into your life to love.
33:09 – Get to know your neighbors
- Take the first step and put yourself out there.
- People will feel loved if you take the one step to make them feel welcome.
- Find out what energizes you and use that to serve and connect with your neighbors.
43:29 – Get to know you
- Something memorable that happened in past year? Her daughter turned 13, and they let her pick and plan a trip.
- Something we’d never guess about her? That she’s introverted.
I read somewhere that the only people you don’t have a lot of choice about is your neighbors and your birth family. Those are usually the most intentional people God put into your life to love.
I’ve always had a passion for gathering people.
Service of community, while we’re serving other people, it refills us back.
Everyone needs community to some extent.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!