Tips for Shopping on Facebook Marketplace | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 250
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
Wow! It’s episode 250. Can you believe it? It’s astonishing to me that I recorded episodes 1-8 in the summer of 2016 and am still doing this five years later.
This week’s episode is a solo one, and I’m answering your questions about shopping second hand on Facebook Marketplace. I get so many questions about this. Shopping second hand is one of the most ethical ways to shop, and I’ve often shared my passion about it. Today, I’m sharing my favorite shopping tips with you.
2:26 – A love for Facebook Marketplace
- When we moved to the farm, I sold a lot of our stuff on Facebook Marketplace. But I bought a ton of stuff, too.
- Probably, easily, three quarters of the things in our new home are from Facebook Marketplace.
6:59 – Before you search
- Make sure you set your filters – location radius, mileage and local pickup.
- I almost never, ever, ever shop for anything that’s going to be shipped to me.
8:21 – Mileage and location
- For me, for most items, I’m not willing to drive more than 20 to 25 miles. If it’s a larger ticket item, I might expand the area or look around where my family lives so they can pick it up.
- Set your radius and mileage on your mobile phone’s Facebook app versus the desktop version. I can be more precise in the mobile app.
9:48 – Searching
- Try different search terms. If you search rocking chairs, people list it different ways – wood rockers, rocking chairs, front porch chairs, etc.
11:08 – Save, save, save
- When you click on a listing, you can save an item. Use it very liberally. It tells Facebook it’s the kind of thing you’re looking for. It also helps to check back on an item and see if it’s still for sale. If it’s been several days or weeks, you can negotiate a lower price.
12:24 – Select “notify me”
- You can select “notify me.” This lets you know if a new listing fitting your criteria comes up. It’s not perfect and can sometimes be delayed.
13:00 – Ready to buy
- You might have to fight to get a hot ticket item if it’s priced well or free.
- If you see something you like, message the person quickly and write a personal message.
15:24 – Can you negotiate?
- Yes and no, but if it’s a hot ticket item listed for less than 24 hours, I typically offer full price.
- If it’s been listed for several days or a week, I’ll try to negotiate.
17:09 – Don’t ghost people
- There is nothing more annoying when someone ghosts you. It’s very frustrating. Don’t do this.
18:14 – The most important tip
- You have to be patient. If you are looking for something, and you need it right away, Facebook Marketplace is probably not going to be the best place to search.
“Shopping second hand is keeping things out of landfills and giving things a second life, or a third life, or a fourth life.”
“In the last year or so, I have developed a bit of – I don’t want to say addiction, because that sounds really negative – a love for shopping on Facebook Marketplace.”
“How to shop second hand on Facebook Marketplace – I’m giving you my tips of how I snag really amazing deals.”
“Most people on Facebook Marketplace want their stuff gone.”
“If you are looking for something, and you need it right away, Facebook Marketplace is probably not going to be the best place to search.”
Thank you to our partners of the show:
It’s time for a SPRING CLEAN REFRESH! Let’s get that home sparkling, the safe way with MamaSuds!
Castile soap is the superhero of soaps, it really does it all- from the windows to the walls! It’s truly the only soap you need. What can you do with MamaSuds Castile Soap? Clean the floors, scrub the counters, bathtubs and tile, clean the baseboards, the windows and the blinds, you can even use it to clean the carpets! Grab a gallon of MamaSuds Castile Soap and start tackling all of your Spring Cleaning to-do’s at www.mamasuds.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to introduce you to Deux Mains. In French, Deux Mains means two hands. Why ‘two-hands’? Because everything they create is made by trained artisans who use their two hands to make their life better while crafting beautiful products.
Truly, this is a company that set out to change lives and make a positive impact in the world. It started when the founder, Julie, wanted to create dignified jobs in Haiti, a place she was growing to love, and that was exploding with creativity. She wanted to share this talent with the world.
Julie set up an educational program to train people with artisan skills and then went on to build a factory that operates on 100% solar energy. Deux Mains now employs more than 40 artisans that handcraft premium leather goods, jewelry and sandals. Their lives are forever changed by their craft.
What’s also cool is their products incorporate an eco-friendly twist, working with responsibly sourced materials and repurposed inner-tube and tires in their designs.
When you buy from Deux Mains, you get to be part of a movement that is making a difference in the world, while adding an incredibly well-made piece to your closet that supports conscious living!
You can discover their products online at deuxmains.com. Use code MOLLY for 15% off!