Turning Your Mess into a Message | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 255: Toni Collier, Broken Crayons Still Color
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest today is Toni Collier, founder of Broken Crayons Still Color, an international women’s ministry that helps women process brokenness and get to hope. She serves alongside her husband, Sam, who is the pastor of Hillsong Atlanta.
4:55 – Toni 101
- Toni wakes up every morning and thinks, “Lord, don’t let me mess this up, because I’m crazy.”
- She grew up in a tough environment as a child, with a verbally abusive dad and a mother who was sick. She lost her virginity at 13 and began drinking and doing drugs.
11:30 – Unhealthy survival tactics
- In counseling, Toni wondered why she ran to so many things that were unhealthy when she was younger.
- A counselor told her that young people try their best to survive but they don’t always have the best strategy.
20:02 – The double life
- Some people’s lives look great on social media, but it’s not great on the inside.
- Toni lived a double life for 25 years. She was a cheerleader, got good grades and was involved in extracurricular activities. But she would sneak out of her house to meet her boyfriend and eventually slept with different guys.
25:26 – Broken Crayons Still Color
- Toni tells the story of picking her daughter up from school and buying her a box of crayons. Her daughter colored with them so hard that they broke, and it led to a breakthrough in Toni’s own life and how she dealt with difficulties in her life.
30:00 – Scars that stay with us
- Toni’s mistakes will always be with her. They are scars that are healed and sealed and still present. It brings up anxiety, concern and worry.
- God never promised us a life of perfection. He will be with us in the imperfection.
47:31 – Overcomer: Defeating Anxiety and Abuse
- You can pre-order her book now, Overcomer: Defeating Anxiety and Abuse. It will be available Aug. 23.
49:20 – Get to know you
- If she could win a medal in any sport? Power walking
- Best vacation? Costa Rica
- Song she could listen to over and over? Britney Spears’ Hit me baby one more time
I literally wake up every morning and I’m like, “Lord, don’t let me mess this up, because I’m crazy.” – Toni
The double life, in my personal opinion, is the difference between a fan and a follower of Jesus. – Toni
Stay passionate. Find a way. – Toni
Toni Collier is the founder of an international women’s ministry called Broken Crayons Still Color, which helps women process through brokenness and get to hope. She serves alongside her husband Sam who is the Lead Pastor of Hillsong Atlanta. She is a speaker, host, and consultant that has helped organizations with creative marketing, leadership, student ministry, and strategic planning. Toni is teaching people all over the globe that you can be broken and worthy and unqualified and still called to do great things. She doesn’t want you to just face your demons, she wants you to quash the illusion of your brokenness so you can live the most colorful life possible, on and off stage.
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNERS:
Ready to ditch the bleach forever but can’t find a bleach alternative that actually works? You’ve got to meet this Extra Strength Oxygen Powder by MamaSuds. It launches July 15th and I’ve had the chance to try it out early and I love it so much! It really tackles the dirt and odor in our clothes. And as usual there are multiple uses for this new product. Not only is it a laundry booster and stain remover, but it’s a great scouring agent on any non-porous surface. If you head to their website and sign up for their email list you’ll get an email with an early bird special coupon when oxygen powder launches PLUS use discount code MOLLY and get an EXTRA 15% off! www.mamasuds.com
Speaking of stories behind brands that change the world, I’d like to introduce you to Deux Mains. In French, Deux Mains means two hands. Why ‘two-hands’? Because everything they create is made by trained artisans who use their two hands to make their life better while crafting beautiful products.
Truly, this is a company that set out to change lives and make a positive impact in the world. It started when the founder, Julie, wanted to create dignified jobs in Haiti, a place she was growing to love, and that was exploding with creativity. She wanted to share this talent with the world.
Julie set up an educational program to train people with artisan skills and then went on to build a factory that operates on 100% solar energy. Deux Mains now employs more than 40 artisans that handcraft premium leather goods, jewelry and sandals. Their lives are forever changed by their craft.
What’s also cool is their products incorporate an eco-friendly twist, working with responsibly sourced materials and repurposed inner-tube and tires in their designs.
When you buy from Deux Mains, you get to be part of a movement that is making a difference in the world, while adding an incredibly well-made piece to your closet that supports conscious living!
You can discover their products online at deuxmains.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off!