Finding Significance Beyond Success | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 323: Traci Barrett
My guest this week is Traci Barrett. She was one of the founding members of the national cable network, HGTV. Traci enjoyed the exciting and amazing ride of taking an idea and turning it into a billion dollar media empire. But almost two decades later, with a family and plenty of life ahead, success was no longer the beacon it once was.
Traci took a risk and walked away from the comfort of corporate life to embark on a soul-searching journey – one that would answer her questions, validate her instincts, and change her life forever.
7:01 – Traci 101
- Traci grew up in West Palm Beach, Fla. She moved to Chicago and knew she always wanted to work in television.
- She stayed in Chicago for 25 years and helped start HGTV.
- After 20 years with HGTV, she woke up one morning and wondered what else was out there.
- Traci decided to merge her decades of experience leading, strategizing, managing and mentoring by starting the business consulting firm, Navigate the Journey.
17:39 – HGTV’s early mission and vision
- HGTV wanted to be loyal to the brand and have a common thread.
- It was always clear from the top down that HGTV was going to stick with the brand.
- It’s always good to know what the competition is doing, but Traci and her coworkers didn’t fear what the competition was doing.
- Believe in the mission, and stay true to the mission.
29:56 – Navigate the Journey
- Traci and her husband started a business, Navigate the Journey.
- She coaches people and helps them connect the dots in their lives.
- Her business took off, and she began hiring people to work with her.
39:26 – Helping those who struggle
- Women who stay home with their kids and want to re-enter the workforce often come to Traci for help.
- Traci helps people figure out what’s holding them back and how they can lean into their purpose.
45:03 – Get to know you
- Something we’d never guess about Traci? She loves to sing.
I just woke up and asked myself: What more is out there?
It’s always good to know what the competition is doing, but we don’t fear what the competition is doing.
Believe in the mission, and stay true to the mission.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!