Why Mentorship Matters | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 292: Heather Adams, Choice Media Communications
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest this week is Heather Adams, a boy mom, communications expert and CEO of Choice Media & Communications, a leading communications firm dedicated to providing clients in the entertainment and lifestyle space with quality communications services.
Choice helps brands, influencers, and authors grow their business and influence by leveraging their unparalleled relationships and crafting smart, personalized communication and brand strategies that demand attention and deliver results.
4:37 – Heather 101
- She grew up outside Atlanta, in Marietta, with an idyllic family.
- In high school, her yearbook advisor told her she had a gift for storytelling. So in college she studied communications and magazines.
- Heather was leading a publicity team at a company, but the recession happened, and she was laid off.
- Her husband looked at her and said don’t take your next step out of fear.
- Another company brought her on as a consultant, and she made double the money. She eventually started her own company.
22:40 – Passion for mentorship
- High school teachers believed in Heather and encouraged her to study communications.
- Her mission now is to mentor college women.
- There is so much power in linking arms with women and setting a wider table and allowing every seat to be occupied by a woman instead of fighting against each other for one.
29:20 – Supporting women
- Heather used to hustle to be the best, but she learned that other women’s’ success does not diminish her own opportunity.
- As a young girl, people told Heather she was bossy and needed to be quiet. But her parents celebrated her assertiveness.
37:20 – Mentoring
- If you are looking for a mentor, don’t downplay virtual mentors. If you don’t know someone personally, you can follow them on social media, read their books, listen to their podcasts, etc.
- Find someone you know who has an exceptional talent, and ask to learn from them, even if it’s not work related.
46:26 – What’s next?
- Heather has a conference for busy, working women. She’s also working on her podcast, Make Me Known.
52:00 – Get to know you
- Guilty pleasures? Real Housewives, a face steamer and Trader Joe’s peanut butter cups
- Favorite book genre? Thrilled mysteries
There is so much power in linking arms with women and setting a wider table and allowing every seat to be occupied by a woman instead of us fighting against each other for one.
I feel like that’s my mission field, serving college women.
Thank you to our partner of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!