You guys, I made this recipe a little while ago and it’s so ridiculously good, it should be illegal. Which is also why I thought I’d share it with you.
I found the original recipe here, but, since I can’t do anything totally by the book, I just took inspiration from it and then made it my own. It’s technically called “Cowboy Casserole” – but since I put my own flair on it, I added the “Carolina” to it for bits and giggles.
This recipe is PERFECT for those football game parties I know you guys are attending. It’s also great for a potluck of any kind… or really any place that you want to bring and/or eat something totally delicious and not remotely healthy.
OPTIONAL (if you like it with some kick – this is how I, personally, make it):
1. Dice the onions and garlic and saute them in a skillet until the room smells good.
2. Add your preferred meat to the skillet with the onions and garlic. Top with salt and pepper, 1 tbs chili powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and a little Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. Cook that meat.
3. While your meat is browning, in a LARGE, separate bowl, combine the milk, sour cream, and soup and mix well. Then set aside.
4. Check on your meat. Get that stuff good and brown and cooked all the way through.
5. Prep your dish. In a large baking dish, start getting your first layer of TOTS ready.
6. Once the meat is done, take it out of the skillet and drain it in a colander.
7. Then, combine the meat with the soup / milk mixture and stir until mixed thoroughly.
8. Then add your corn and a lot of cheese.
10. Then, follow this pattern in your baking dish:
Or, you know, until you’re out of ingredients.
11. On that top layer, really PACK ON THE CHEESE and Tony Chachere’s (or other creole seasoning). You know, cause this makes it good.
12. Now, place in the oven at about 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes – OR – until cheese is brown and tater tots are crispy.
13. VOILA! Your casserole is complete and ready to serve (after it cools down… it’s going to be HOT when it comes out of that oven).
14. Go for a long walk / run. You’ll need to burn off those calories.
Just kidding. Sort of.
Hope you enjoy this recipe, y’all. Let me know if you decide to make it!
xox, molly <3