Top: Stitch Fix Maternity / Loveappella Maternity | Jeans: Paige Maternity via Shopbop c/o | Booties: Splendid via Shopbop c/o | Scarf: World Market (old) | Bag: JOYN India via One World Market c/o | Earrings: Nickel and Suede | Bracelets: Alex and Ani c/o | Watch: Wristology Watches c/o (Use code “45” for 20% off your purchase) | Cuff: Your Words Cuffs c/o (Use code MOLLY for 10% off)
True story: the “flare” style denim has always been my favorite cut. I can remember back to when flares really came in style in 1997 / 1998 and I was ALL about them… even then. And that trend stuck around for awhile! I feel like flares were really still “in” even into the early 2000s. And then, for some reason unbeknownst to me, they were no longer “cool” and skinny jeans stepped in and stole their limelight.
And I got a case of the denim sads. I still occasionally rocked my bootcut jeans, but I was succumbing to the skinny and straight-leg jean trend like everyone else. But, flares still had my heart.
Let me be clear that there’s a clear difference between “bell bottoms” and “flares” and I realize that both of those styles have returned this year. Bell bottoms are going to be tougher for some people to pull off. Not everyone can rock the SUPER wide bell bottom look. But flares? Flares, in my humble opinion, are the cut of jean that really are universal and can look good on EVERYONE. Even pregnant people!
So, I want to share five reasons why I think flares look good on everyone… (I hope to convince you to try some out!)
Five Reasons Why Flare Jeans Look Good on Everyone
- Flares help to give an illusion of an elongated leg length which is naturally slimming!
- Flares help to balance out proportions on the body. For example, if you’re top heavy, flares distract from that… if you’re bottom heavy, flares can actually help to “mask” that, if you’re apple shaped (or pregnant!), flares can help to give you the illusion of that hourglass shape.
- A dark wash flare can add to the “slimming” effect.
- The right wash flare can instantly look a little bit dressy. (No distressing! :))
- No matter your age, body shape, height, etc. the right wash, length, and style of flare can be a great “closet staple” addition to your wardrobe because they really, truly, honestly look good on everyone. Skinny jeans? Yeah, those don’t look good on everyone. Boyfriend jeans? Definitely don’t look good on everyone. Flares are universally flattering!
Needless to say, I’m HAPPY to see that the flare “trend” is back (even though I never think it FULLY left…) and I hope it stays… because I am a fan.
I will also say, that denim can be tough for some people… but I HONESTLY believe that investing in good denim that will LAST you for years to come is KEY. There’s a reason those jeans from Old Navy cost $20… But my Seven for All Mankind jeans I’ve had for YEARS? Yeah, I can still wear them and they still look good. So, I recommend trying on some good jeans and investing in a pair that will last and last!
Here are some of my favorites (and all of these brands are Made in the USA!):
Now what about you? Are you a fan of the “flare trend”? What do you think about it?
Welcome to Let it Shine…..the new, revamped Funday Monday! After two years….we decided to rename our link up to something we felt would be a better fit. Thus, Let it Shine! Why the name? Because we want this link up to be just that…..your chance to let it shine. We’ll be sharing our favs here each week and on social media……
Another place we will be showcasing our favs? The Let It Shine Pinterest Board