I get this question all the time from friends, family, and readers: “How DO you listen to a podcast? How do you subscribe to a podcast? I want to do the podcast thing, but I have no idea how!” This post will break down exactly how to listen and subscribe to a podcast… and even how to leave a review for your favorite podcasts!
I just got back from Anaheim, California where I was last week attending the Podcast Movement conference! It was an AMAZING conference and I loved learning from so many awesome speakers and fellow podcasters in the industry. While I worked in radio for a few years and have voiceover and recording experience, I just launched my own podcast a year ago! Since I am a bit of a podcast junkie and listen to and subscribe to so many podcasts, I often take for granted the fact that not *everyone* is into podcasts and not *everyone* even knows *HOW* to listen or to subscribe to a podcast! In fact, I get asked many times a week “How do you listen to and subscribe to a podcast?!”
So, I thought it would be helpful for those of you who are new to podcasts (or haven’t listened to a podcast ever!) to share the basics of HOW you can listen to a podcast, the best places to subscribe, and even how to leave a review (which podcasters LOVE and appreciate!)
How to Listen and Subscribe to a Podcast
How to subscribe to a podcast on an iPhone / iPad:
The iTunes Podcast App: The easiest (and honestly, the best) way to subscribe to a podcast on an iPhone is through the Podcasts app on your iPhone / iPad. It’s a little purple app that already exists on your device. You just open it up, search for the podcast you want to listen to (or look at the charts) and boom! You’re good to go. SUPER easy to use! You can subscribe to MY podcast, Business with Purpose, on iTunes by clicking here.
This is FREE.
How to subscribe to a podcast on an Android / Google device:
Let me just say, if anyone from Google is reading this – Y’ALL NEED TO MAKE A NATIVE PODCAST APP. Come on, y’all. What gives? It’s 2017. Create a native podcast app on Android devices. It’s time. (It’s been time for quite some time).
ANYWAY. Moving on. If you have an Android device, the BEST way to subscribe to a podcast on Android is to go to THIS website that is literally called Subscribe on Android. There are links to Android podcast apps that you can download right to your device. So, a little bit of an extra step (beyond what you can do on an Apple device), but it’s still super easy.
Google Play is Google’s main “music and podcast app” for Android devices.
Also, this is FREE.
Other Apps You Can Download to Listen to Podcasts:
- Spotify – Yes, the music app has PODCASTS! And my podcast is on Spotify. Just click here or search “Business with Purpose”
- Stitcher – Stitcher is a popular podcast app that has a lot of cool features like playlist creation and you can also listen to radio shows (in addition to podcasts). *FREE* Subscribe to Business with Purpose on Stitcher
- Radio Public – Radio Public is a new (to me) app that makes finding and listening to new podcasts incredibly easy. It aims to make listening to AND discovering new podcasts easier than ever. *FREE*
- Pocket Casts – Pocket Casts allows you to seamlessly listen to podcasts on your desktop / laptop computer in a web browser and also listen on your mobile device… it also knows exactly where you left off so you can pick up where you stop! (This one does cost $3.99) Subscribe to Business with Purpose on Pocket Casts
- Overcast – A lot of avid Podcast listeners LOVE Overcast. I’ve never used it, but I’ve heard great things. It has a unique “smart speed” feature where you can speed up your podcast listening at not JUST 1.5x or 2x like you can in the native podcast app… This blog post here does a good overview of the Overcast app.*FREE to download with premium options you can buy* Subscribe to Business with Purpose on Overcast
- Player.fm – This is a cloud-based Podcast player so it’s great if you want to save “space” on your phone. I haven’t used it, personally, but I know a few people who have this app and they are big fans of it.*FREE* Subscribe to Business with Purpose on Player.fm
How to Subscribe to a Podcast via a RSS Feed
All podcasts also have an RSS feed that you can use with any feed reader… so if that’s a preferred method of subscribing for you, you can do that! Subscribe to the Business with Purpose Podcast via Podcast RSS Feed
Here is how to leave a review of a Podcast on iTunes from your iPhone or iPad:
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to review – for example, you can search for mine: “Business with Purpose“
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the Blue album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.
That’s it! It’s super easy to leave a review of your favorite podcast. And honestly, it is so helpful for the podcast host to see those reviews and get that feedback from you! It really does mean the world and it’s a huge way of saying “thank you!”