We’ve been sheltering-in-place / in quarantine because of COVID-19 for almost two months now. That’s actually kinda crazy for me to even think about. I know that right now is hard for a lot of people and I know that when you’re home 24/7 with your family, your significant other / your spouse… things can get hard. John and I have always loved dating each other… even after almost 10 years of being together (8 years of marriage), we look forward to date nights all the time. Once we started having kids, getting OUT of the house for date night became more of a challenge, so we got creative and would regularly do at-home date nights. We still would try to get out for an out-of-the-house date night AT LEAST once a month, if not twice. But, obviously, since quarantine started, we’ve had to get back to our at-home date night roots and get creative! We’ve dubbed Saturday nights “date night” and it’s been SO MUCH FUN for us. We’ve really tried to get innovative and do fun at-home date nights each week. We put the kids to bed, and we make dinner AFTER they are in bed and then have our “date night.” Yes, we dress up. Yes, I put on makeup. No, we don’t wear shoes.
With everything that is going on, it has never been more important to date your spouse! I’m obviously a huge proponent of dating your spouse, but ESPECIALLY during a time like this, we need to focus on that intimate connection!
With that being said, I thought I would share with you 17 creative at-home date night ideas so you can be inspired to date the love of your life while safely sheltering-in-place during COVID-19!
1. Create an “at home” putt putt / mini golf course! I give my husband 100% full credit for this idea. A couple weeks ago he planned our at-home date night and he created an entire “putt putt” course in our house! We grabbed a putter, a golf ball, and he used a frisbee (the kind with the hole in the middle) as the hole! The “holes” were all around our house… we started in the hallway and putted into the office (with obstacles, of course), hit down the stairs, in the bathrooms, etc. It was so much fun! You could obviously get creative with whatever you have on hand!
2. Can’t go see a comedy show? Create an “at-home” comedy theater! John and I love to laugh and love to see live comedy. Obviously we can’t go see live comedy shows right now, but we’ve been watching standup comedy specials on YouTube or Netflix and creating our own “comedy theater” at home.
3. Subscribe to a service like “Date Night In – Night In Boxes”! I gifted John a subscription to Night in Boxes last year and we LOVED it. Each month you get delivered, to your door step, an entire date night that you can do at home. It includes recipes, a playlist, activities, etc. It’s so much fun!
4. Pull out old photo albums and share stories: I love reminiscing and telling John stories from my childhood or from growing up and I LOVE seeing pictures of him as a kid!
5. Learn to play a card game: We LOVE games – bust out a deck of cards and look up a card game you don’t know how to play and learn it.
6. Make ice cream sundaes: I’m talking go to the grocery store and get THE WORKS.
7. Build a fort! Why are the kids having all the fun during quarantine? Who says adults can’t build an epic fort?
8. Come up with a love “bucket list”: Come up with a list of 10, 20, 100 things you both want to do before you die! Bonus if the item is something you can do together!
9. Turn your back yard into a movie theater. Grab a blanket, pillows, some popcorn, and bring your laptop, iPad, or even your TV outside and watch a movie in your backyard underneath the stars! Really go all out and make the area super comfy and relaxing and enjoy a movie together.
10. Take online dance lessons together. Sure, both of you might have four left feet, but at least you can say you tried. There are a ton of online dance lessons! John actually got us a set of classes with “Show Her Off” for Christmas and we’ve been doing the online dance lessons weekly! It’s been SO much fun!
11. Create an at-home spa. Get all the necessary accoutrements like massage oil or lotion, roses, bubble bath, and chocolate and set up a “spa” in your living room or bedroom! You can really get creative with it!
12. Have a board game night! Either bust out an old favorite like Clue or Scrabble! We actually love to play Scattergories!
13. Enjoy a “black out” night. There’s something fun about a house when the power is totally out, but don’t feel like you need to wait for a thunderstorm to make this happen. Turn out ALL of the lights and turn off anything that has power (yes, cell phones count, too). Light some candles and play in the dark. Whether it’s just sitting and talking, enjoying each other’s company, or reading by candlelight.
14. Create a “date” jar. Over dinner,, sit down and write down a bunch of things (sky is the limit) you would like to do together. Write them on slips of paper, put them in a jar, and when you’re feeling uninspired, pull one out!
15. Play Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Prime Video / AppleTV+ / Disney+ / TV roulette: Take the remote, open your favorite tv-watching service together, and flip through till you land on something totally random that you can watch together! You might discover a new show or movie!
16. “Build” your dream house together: John and I play this one all the time. Each of you take turns “building” a feature. Start from the outside and work your way in. How many acres of land? What does your yard look like? Landscaping? Porch? House features? Go big or go home!
17. Recreate the meal from your first date / wedding night / other important occasion: Head to the grocery store and get all the accoutrements for making a memorable meal!
There you have it! 17 at-home date night ideas that you can use really any time, but especially during quarantine!
Let me know what ideas you have or what ideas you would try!