We have big plans for the garden this year! This is our 7th year gardening, but our first year gardening on the farm! We know that with creating a whole new garden versus planting in an established one, that we will run into trouble. We are also increasing our garden bed space by about 4-5x… so this year will certainly be a learning curve. BUT, we are excited to dive into the garden this year. I know I can’t wait.
We’ve learned so much over the years tending to the garden and honestly, I never knew it would be something I’d enjoy, but I really do. There’s something so amazing about growing your own food from a tiny seed. It’s incredible! God’s creation never ceases to amaze me.
So, I figured I’d share a little bit of our garden plans with you:
- We (and by we, I mean John), built 4-5x the amount of garden bed space at the farm that we had at our last house!
- We had to fence it all in because, well, there are a TON of deer out here.
- We started seedlings inside at the end of January / early February and it’s been interesting to see what’s taken off so far and what hasn’t!
- This past weekend, we finally put the starters in the ground because the last frost is behind us.
- We did a mixture of organic compost, regular ol’ dirt, and black kow manure to fill our garden beds. Only the best soil for our seeds!
What do we plan to grow this year?
Biggest things we are focusing our efforts on are on things we know we eat a lot of AND things we know we can can / preserve to eat throughout the winter.
- Green Beans
- Spinach (or so we are trying! haha!)
We are also trying our hand at some other herbs and spices and I am attempting a flower garden! This year I’m trying something called “companion gardening” where you plant complimentary flowers by vegetables and fruits that either attract or repel pests / pollinators. I’m not an expert on this so Google it if you’re interested in learning more!
We are so excited to see what grows this year!
Are you planning a garden? What are you going to grow?
Also… just a reminder that I have a giveaway going on!
I have teamed up with an amazing group of bloggers to give YOU a chance to win:
a $575 Amazon Gift Card
Simply enter below by completing the rafflecopter. You’ll receive one entry per completion. This giveaway is open to the U.S. and Canada only and runs until EOD 4/19. Winner will be announced here. Good Luck!
Void where prohibited. By entering the giveaway you acknowledge that you are agreeing to complete each task, which involves following, liking and subscribing to newsletters.