A Conversation about Mental Health | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 298: Dr. John Delony
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest this week is Dr. John Delony, a bestselling author, mental health expert, and host of The Dr. John Delony Show. He has two PhDs and more than two decades of experience in counseling, crisis response, and higher education.
John’s goal is to help people navigate tough decisions, improve their relationships, and believe they are worthy of being well. He has a new book out, “Own Your Past, Change Your Future.”
3:34 – John 101
- John’s a husband, father of two, has chickens and dogs and lives in the country.
- He has worked in mental health and higher education as a dean of students.
- A few years ago, he joined Dave Ramsey’s team.
4:43 – Let’s talk about chickens
- John and I both have chickens at our houses. John loves having a surplus of eggs, but he doesn’t know a lot about chickens.
- His wife tells him, “You don’t know what you’re doing.”
11:15 – Goodwill Hunting
- John changed his major to psychology after watching Goodwill Hunting.
- Growing up, he watched his father work as a hostage negotiator and help people when others ran away.
15:50 – Own Your Past, Change Your Future
- John was all over the place when he was younger, trying to outrun his problems. He didn’t have a picture of what “enough” looked like.
- He lived with low-level depression and anxiety, and he just thought that was how life was.
- In his book, John is not talking at you. He’s talking with you, because he has been there.
26:53 – Transformational times
- When he got in the car and drove to see a friend for help, that was a turning point in his life.
- True connection comes from people who show up in your life.
35:00 – The dangers of loneliness
- Suicide, addiction and other problems are after effects of the pandemic.
- Loneliness can kill people.
41:25 – How to find community
- All relationships are a risk, and you’re worth the risk.
- Keep working on your relationships.
53:28 – Get to know you
- Best concert he’s attended? Pantera and White Zombie
- If he had to change careers? Anything that can make people’s lives more joyful and peaceful
Everybody grab a machete. We’re carving a new path.
Netflix knows me better than any of my friends. It tells me, “Hey, don’t get up. I have the next movie for you, and you’re going to like it.”
I’m out to reclaim life, and I want to bring as many people along with me as I can.
About Dr. John Delony:
Dr. John Delony is a national bestselling author, mental health and wellness expert and host of The Dr. John Delony Show. He holds two PhDs – one in Counselor Education and Supervision and another in Higher Education Administration. Before joining Ramsey Solutions, John spent two decades working as a senior leader at multiple universities, a professor and researcher, and crisis responder. Now as a Ramsey Personality, he teaches people how to reclaim their lives from the madness of the modern world.
Thank you to our partner of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!