The Gift of Creating Havens | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 316: Liz Bell Young
My guest this week is Liz Bell Young, a writer, experience designer and mother of three in Cincinnati.
Author of the memoir, “In the Wide Country of Love” and creator of the Anthropologie-distributed Haven Magazine, Liz is an MFA graduate of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and The University of Cincinnati.
She is a contributing author for The Magnolia Journal, Artifact Uprising, Darling Magazine, HERE Magazine, and Procter & Gamble.
Liz’s upcoming book on building havens is represented by Punchline Agency.
4:41 – Liz 101
- Liz loves 3 dimensional creative experiences and is a full-time freelancer.
- She drives a van, is very tall and her kids have a turtle.
- Despite her different interests, she could never shake the desire that she wanted to be a writer.
- She has a masters in fine arts and creative writing.
10:34 – Creating experiences
- As a child, she enjoyed creating little worlds and experiences.
- Getting to combine writing with experiential work has been so energizing to Liz.
- Liz and her friends designed a camping experience for women.
21:40 – Writing for church
- Liz became a senior writer at her church and training alongside the church’s designers.
- When they worked together, their work was so much better.
- She wrote printed materials, scripts, immersive prayer services.
24:41 – Haven magazine
- Liz wanted to make something concrete and tangible that could be sold on a shelf.
35:08 – Success stories
- Liz doesn’t see things as black and white – successes and failures.
- When something goes wrong or she doesn’t get what she wants, she figured she’d get it the next time.
- You need to celebrate people, even if they get what you want.
49:28 – Taking off the pressure
- Try to take the pressure off yourself.
- Liz has been considering the idea of hospitality with what you have.
- Love people in simple and thoughtful ways.
53:40 – Get to know you
- Strangest pet peeve? Water on public bathroom sinks.
- Favorite TV show as a kid? Felicity
I could never shake this desire that I really wanted to be a writer.
Getting to combine writing with experiential work has been so energizing to me.
Writing can help heal people.
Love people in simple and thoughtful ways.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!