The Impact of Laughter | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 309: Michelle Fortin, Top Knot Comedy
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest today is Michelle Fortin, an award winning broadcast journalist, speaker, comedian, and actress. Her energetic personality and quick wit keep audiences entertained and encouraged.
She routinely emcees events and conferences, and gives keynote addresses on motherhood, relationships, and faith. She’s made numerous TV appearances on shows like Good Morning America, TODAY, The List, and Inside Edition.
In 2019, PHOENIX Magazine named her among the “Great 48” – a list of the Valley’s Most Influential People.
As the brunette-half of the popular comedic duo, Leeann & Michelle, you may recognize Michelle from viral parodies and comedic sketches, which have accrued 40 million views.
4:43 – Michelle 101
- Michelle lives in Arizona with her husband and two kids.
- She started her career as an anchor, reporter and producer. Her dream was to be Katie Couric.
- After talking with her former college professor, she became an adjunct professor in communications and got interested in improv.
15:12 – Improv shows
- Michelle travels the country doing improv and speaking.
22:30 – Reset the rhythm year
- Michelle did nothing for a year, calling it her “reset the rhythm year.”
- She did not work and turned down social invitations.
- She cooked new meals, played with her kids and slowed down.
- It was tough for her because she is a high capacity person who is much better busy than bored.
31:39 – Finding your community
- Michelle and her family try to get together with friends often and in an informal way.
- She pursues friendships, which can be tough to do as an adult.
41:01 – The best comedy
- Jerry Seinfeld once said the best comedy is when you lean your head back, laughig and say, “That’s so true.”
44:54 – Top Knot Comedy
- Michelle and Leeann want to bring joy and respite to people through their comedy.
- Michelle shares funny memes each week for different enneagrams.
50:07 – Finding humor
- Comedians love to find humor where you don’t expect to find humor.
1:04 – Get to know you
- Strangest pet peeve? The sound of people clipping their fingernails.
- Who would she do a comedy show with? Me, Molly Stillman!
It doesn’t matter what your job is .., improv is for everybody.
I’m a high capacity person. I’m much better busy than bored.
Comedians love to find humor where you don’t expect to find humor.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!