My guest this week is the incredible Sandra Byrd, an experienced devotionalist who has authored more than 50 books. Sandra’s newest devotional, Dwell, was just released and focuses on the heartwarming topic of home. She created this devotional to draw inspiration from window views and cozy armchairs to spend time with God. It’s the perfect book to keep on your nightstand or coffee table and help you feel closer to God when you read it.
Her previous devotionals for women include The One Year Home and Garden Devotions (from which Dwell was drawn) and The One Year Experiencing God’s Love Devotional. In addition, her tween devotional, One Year Between You and God, is a bestseller. Sandra is also an editor and writing coach who is passionate about helping writers develop their talents.
3:30 – Sandra 101
- Sandra is a Christian woman, mother, grandmother, author, book and writing coach and editor.
- She is also a foodie and loves long walks by the water.
4:51 – Food as art
- Foodie is more than just liking to eat. It’s about enjoying recipes and learning about food.
- Sandra enjoys all the senses when she’s around food, and it’s like an art form to her.
6:56 – Sensory beings
- Taste can bring us closer to Jesus. Cuisines can help us learn about cultures.
- God made us to be sensory beings. When we navigate the world using our senses, we enjoy it more fully.
- God uses sensory illustrations in the Bible to help us understand His word.
- Sandra only drinks Jasmine tea when she’s spending time with God. She associates the smell with God.
13:10 – At home with God
- We often look for mountaintop experiences with God, but most life events are pretty mundane.
- We need to feel God in the place where we spend most of our time, at home.
20:19 – Our forever home
- God never lets Sandra write about anything that she hasn’t experienced.
- She and her husband had to leave their dream home after he got cancer, so home became part of her story.
- Sandra thought that was her forever home, but she was wrong. Our forever home is in Heaven, not here on earth.
31:59 – Devotionals and prayer partners
- Set yourself up for success to spend time with the Lord. Set out your Bible, set reminders on your phone and tell family that you’ll be doing your devotionals.
- A good devotional is like a prayer partner, in a sense.
46:08 – Most fun book
- The most fun book she wrote? Her Tudor books.
God made us to be sensory beings. When we navigate the world using our senses, we enjoy it more fully.
That’s where peace comes from – if we have our home as a refuge. God is our home. And our physical surrounding is our home.
God never lets me write about anything that I don’t experience.
A good devotional is like a prayer partner, in a sense.
About Sandra Byrd:
The author of more than fifty books, Sandra’s work has received many awards, nominations, and accolades, including a starred review from Publisher’s Weekly and multiple starred reviews and Best Book selections from Library Journal. Other awards include the Historical Novel Society’s Editor’s Choice award, two Christy Awards nominations, a Bookpage Top Pick for Romance, and inclusion on Booklist’s Top Ten Inspirational Books of the Year list.
Sandra is an experienced devotionalist. Her newest devotional, Dwell, will be published in Spring 2023. Previous devotionals for women include The One Year Home and Garden Devotions (from which Dwell was drawn) and The One Year Experiencing God’s Love Devotional, which was named by Called Magazine, the #1 magazine for Christian Women, as among their favorite, must-read books. In addition, her tween devo, One Year Between You and God, is a bestseller.
As an editor and an in-demand writing coach, Sandra is passionate about helping writers develop their talents and has mentored hundreds of writers at all stages of their writing careers. For testimonials about her editing and book coaching, please visit sandrabyrdbookcoach.com.
A dedicated foodie, Sandra cooks through the topic and location of every book she writes. In addition, she collects vintage glass and serve ware in her free time, loves long walks with her husband, and Sunday Suppers with her growing family.
90 Days at Home with God
Because God dwells in us and we dwell in Him, evidence of Him surrounds us, right where we live. And He wants us to lean in to Him, enjoying security in His love and comfort from His companionship.
Join Sandra Byrd for 90 days of devotional readings that will lead you to a place where you feel at home with God. She draws inspiration from do-it-yourself projects, gardening, home decor, and more, and then pairs each story with biblical insights that nurture gratitude and deepen faith. You’ll love the earthy look of this devotional with a scattering of full-page photos and full color throughout, this warm, inviting devotional will feature beautifully on a nightstand or coffee table and provide fresh encouragement for the soul.
With stories from real life and gentle words from Scripture, Sandra invites you into her own home and garden. Whether you’re delighting in a window view of a chubby squirrel, savoring the first bite of a hot buttery roll, stressed over a broken-down furnace, or distracted by badly hung wallpaper, you’ll discover that every experience can bring you closer to Jesus.