Using Social Media with Purpose | Business with Purpose EP. 320
My podcast celebrated its 6th birthday at the end of September, and I’m blown away by how far I’ve come and how far this show and you, the listener, have come. If you’ve been here awhile, you’ll know that every 10 episodes I do a special show or topic. This week’s show is episode 320, so let’s jump into my thoughts on influencers and what it means to influence people.
3:03 – Influencers
- I loathe the term influencer. If someone calls me that, I will immediately reject that.
- That suggests I have more influence than people you know, but that’s not true.
- Everybody listening today has influence.
4:10 – Sidewalks
- When I was 8 years old, I wanted sidewalks in my neighborhood.
- I went to the town council and demanded sidewalks. It took 2.5 years of letter writing and speaking, but I got the sidewalks.
6:34 – Rethinking your influence
- My goal is to get you to rethink what it means to influence people on social media.
- Whether you have five followers of 5 million, think about how you can practically use social media for good.
- I promised myself I would not add to the hate on social media.
8:24 – Children and grandchildren
- When you post on social media, ask yourself: Would I be OK with my children, grandchildren or great grandchildren seeing or reading this?
9:31 – My mom’s journals
- My mom died when I was a senior in high school. My dad gave me her journals, and it has made a huge impact on me.
10:36 – If my kid posted this …
- Ask yourself about your social media posts: Is this something I’d be OK with my children posting when they’re older?
11:03 – Encouraging others
- The third question I ask is: Does this content encourage or uplift, make people laugh or smile, bring joy to others, educate or connect people?
12:48 – Changing opinions
- I don’t post about politics, because people’s opinions aren’t changed on Facebook.
- Your social media following doesn’t define you.
Your online presence is going to be a digital legacy.
Think about how you can practically use social media for good.
Thank you to our partners of the show!
Are you looking to clean up your household cleaning products this year? MamaSuds would like to help! The best way is to simply start with one product. Every time you run out of a specific cleaning product, replace it with a non-toxic one. Another tip, purchase a product that has multiple uses. The MamaSuds Collection has many multiple use products (castile soap or the toilet bombs are just a few!). Their blog has lots of great tips and a castile soap recipe that you can print and make a lot of your own effective cleaners! Give them a try at www.mamasuds.com and don’t forget to use the coupon code MOLLY for 15% off your order!
I’d like to thank our other partner of the show and that’s Tradlands. Tradlands is an INCREDIBLE sustainable fashion brand that believes in clothing that you can live in NOW and love forever. Clothing that not only makes you feel like your best self, but also fits in a way that flatters. Their gorgeous dresses, pants, tops, and more are designed to move with you throughout your busy days. Their Nico dress is my dress in a love language —not only does it have sleeves, but also POCKETS and you know how I feel about dresses with pockets. I love how comfortable and stylish each piece – and they come in colors like classic neutrals or vibrant hues. One of the things I love most about Tradlands is their focus on sustainability and creating small batch clothing that lasts… they never over produce what they make and focus on only the highest quality materials. And you know how much I love supporting small businesses, too. Check them out at https://tradlands.com/businesswithpurpose and use the code MOLLY20 for 20% off!