Creating a Digital Heirloom | Business with Purpose Podcast EP 243: Ashley Kenny, Heirloom
Click a timestamp below to be taken to the exact spot in the episode…
My guest this week is Ashley Kenny, the CEO and founder of Heirloom, a startup company founded in 2020 that allows you to send video cards to friends and loved ones. As a journalist, she spent 15 years traveling the world and making groundbreaking documentaries. She lives in Washington D.C. with her husband and two children.
4:06 – Ashley 101
- She fell in love with long-form documentary making and worked for National Geographic and other outlets.
- Now she is the CEO and founder of Heirloom, which she launched with her brother.
9:09 – Tapping into her passion
- Ashley is a storyteller who has worked in different mediums. She loves asking questions and investigating.
17:12 – A need for community and connection
- Ashley called her grandma last spring and noticed she seemed down and not like her usual happy self. She was in lockdown during Covid and missing her family.
- She mailed her grandmother a video of her children to cheer her up, and she wanted to do the same for other people, especially seniors who don’t have access to computers or phones.
- Ashley’s brother helped her with the technology.
29:03 – Different kinds of videos people send
- People have sent many different kinds of videos – graduations, birth announcements, ultrasounds, gender reveals, birthday tributes
36:52 – A powerful message
- Send videos to people who have impacted your life, and let them know how much you care.
- It could be a really powerful opportunity to send a message to somebody in your life that has really had an impact on you, and maybe you haven’t really told them.
38:12 – Get to know you
- First thing she does when she gets home from a long trip? She gets a cup of fresh water from her tap.
- Favorite food? Fried rice
“I’ve always been super curious about people’s backgrounds, about what makes somebody who they are, about where they’re from.” – Ashley
“I was a huge snoop growing up as a child … I had to see everything.” – Ashley
“This is a way to connect people when they can’t be together.” – Ashley
“We’re hoping this is an heirloom, a keepsake, something people will hold onto for years to come.” – Ashley
Thank you to our partner of the show:
It’s time for a SPRING CLEAN REFRESH! Let’s get that home sparkling, the safe way with MamaSuds!
Castile soap is the superhero of soaps, it really does it all- from the windows to the walls! It’s truly the only soap you need. What can you do with MamaSuds Castile Soap? Clean the floors, scrub the counters, bathtubs and tile, clean the baseboards, the windows and the blinds, you can even use it to clean the carpets! Grab a gallon of MamaSuds Castile Soap and start tackling all of your Spring Cleaning to-do’s at www.mamasuds.com and use code MOLLY for 15% off your order!