How We Relate to God and Others with Jesse Eubanks | EP. #332 Can I Laugh on Your Shoulder? Podcast
My guest this week is Jesse Eubanks, a certified Enneagram coach and host of The EnneaCast, a podcast exploring personality and relationships through the lens of the Enneagram.
Jesse is also the founder and executive director of Love Thy Neighborhood, an urban missions agency putting young adults on the front lines of nonprofit work. Relevant named him one of the top 50 Christian artists and activists making an impact on culture in America.
Jesse and his wife, Lindsay, have two children and live in Louisville, Kentucky. He is also the author of, “How We Relate: Understanding God, Yourself, and Others through the Enneagram.”
6:09 – Jesse 101
- Jesse does discipleship and missions for modern times.
- He has been working in urban ministry since he was 19, and he spent time working with a homeless shelter.
7:38 – What is the Enneagram?
- None of us see the world the same way.
- The Enneagram is a tool to help people understand the ways that other people perceive the world.
- It’s a personality typing system that looks at motivation and core desires.
14:15 – “How We Relate” book
- You need to know about the Enneagram and Jesus. If you only use the Enneagram, you’re missing half of the equation.
- The Enneagram doesn’t need to be explicitly Christian in its origins to be useful.
- Why not just use the Bible? Sometimes we need new language to look at something in a fresh way.
20:54 – Enneagram types
- Type 1 – The Reformer
- Type 2 – The Helper
- Type 3 – The Achiever
- Type 4 – The Individualist
- Type 5 – The Investigator
- Type 6 – The Loyalist
- Type 7 – The Enthusiast
- Type 8 – The Challenger
- Type 9 – The Peacemaker
31:11 – Enneagram is a tool
- The Enneagram is a wonderful tool, but it cannot love me into wholeness.
- Empathy + Authority = Trust
42:30 – How do you relate to God?
- No one who encounters Jesus stays the same.
- Jesus wants to break us out of our addictions.
- We bend our ideas of God to suit us. Just let God be who He is.
56:52 – Jesse’s goal for readers
- Jesse wants you to know that Jesus is reaching for you and loves you.
None of us see the world the same. The Enneagram is a tool to help people understand the ways that other people perceive the world.
The Enneagram allows us to be really complicated people, but it’s a very user-friendly approach to understanding all that complexity.
The Enneagram is a wonderful tool, but it cannot love me into wholeness.
We bend our ideas of God to suit us. Just let God be who He is.