As you know, we’ve been receiving a CSA box since March (CSA = community supported agriculture… it’s a box full of locally grown, organic produce, meat, and eggs). One of the things I have loved about the CSA is we always have a TON of fresh fruits and vegetables on hand… AND a lot of the vegetables are not veggies that I’ve cooked a lot with or I’m super familiar with.
Recently, we’ve been receiving A LOT of squash and zucchini in our CSA box and, well, my husband very much dislikes squash and zucchini. BUT, I’ve been DETERMINED to come up with a recipe for all the veggies we’ve received and make them in a way that he likes…
A few weeks ago, I was playing around in the kitchen and decided to try my hand at a low-carb, zucchini and squash “lasagna.”
I was sneaky and didn’t tell my husband I was putting those veggies in there… and whipped this dish up and served it up and he was saying how delicious it was and all that… and BOOM! I told him what was in it and he was genuinely surprised and LOVED it!
Needless to say, it was a big hit in this house and will definitely be made again.
While there looks like there are a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps, I PROMISE that it’s super easy! You can easily switch out different ingredients that you have on hand. I just like to use what I got in my kitchen.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 squash (I used Patty Pan Squash, but pretty much any squash will do)
- 1 small bunch of greens, finely chopped (could be spinach, collards, chard, etc. I used rainbow chard)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of pasta sauce of your choice
- Crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- Fresh mozzarella
- Shredded mozzarella
- ½ pound of ground beef
- ½ pound of italian sausage (you could honestly do one pound of just one meat... this is just what I happened to use)
- Italian seasoning
- Cracked sea salt and freshly cracked pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, spray with cooking spray (I love olive oil), then line the bottom with sliced zucchini.
- Brown the meat and cook thoroughly, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chopped greens of your choice with the can of diced tomatoes and add in some Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. (I didn't measure, I just eyeballed it). Then, mixed well.
- Cover the layer of zucchini with the greens and tomato mixture.
- Top that layer with crumbled goat cheese (you could switch this out for another type of cheese, but I love goat cheese)
- Then top with half the meat.
- Then top that layer of meat with the thinly sliced squash
- Next, add the last of the meat, and cover with the jar of pasta sauce and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on top.
- Finally, add the sliced fresh mozzarella and finish off with some shredded mozzarella.
- If desired, add some more seasoning on top.
- Then, place in the oven and bake 30 minutes or until bubbly (you'll just have to keep an eye on it).
What about you? Will you give this recipe a try? I promise, it is a HIT! It’s delicious. AND it’s healthy! (Well, the garlic bread isn’t… but that’s optional… haha!)