I never used to be a huge DIY person. However, as we’ve started, bit by bit, switching out products in our home from ones with lots of chemicals to ones that are more natural and have safe stuff, it’s become a lot of fun to try out different “recipes” for things.
I’ve already done my own laundry detergent and another thing I really wanted to tackle was dish soap in the kitchen! I knew making my own couldn’t be THAT difficult and I knew that once I found a recipe I liked, it would be so easy to whip up. Plus, I knew it could save us money!
So, after a few tweaks, I’ve settled on this one (for now) for some easy DIY dish soap!
- 1-2 cups of Liquid Castile Soap (this is totally dependent upon the size of your container)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable glycerin (this helps to cut grease and thicken soap. Add more if you want thicker soap.)
- 10 drops of Citrus Fresh essential oil (I get mine here – it comes in the premium starter kit!)
- 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner to fight grease, stains, and get more suds (I get mine here)
- Fill the rest of your container with water (I use a quart mason jar – as pictured… you want to shoot for about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water)
- Pinch of salt
- OPTIONAL: 5-10 drops of another complimentary essential oil like Purification or Lemon
YOU’LL ALSO NEED:
- Glass or aluminum container (I recommend a mason jar. DO NOT USE PLASTIC.)
- Mason jar soap pump (Get one here)
Add the castile soap, vegetable glycerin, Citrus Fresh, Thieves Household Cleaner, and salt to your container. Mix it up (SHAKE! SHAKE! SHAKE!) then fill the rest with water. Pop the dispenser on your mason jar and boom! You’re set to go!
I use this soap for cleaning dishes AND washing hands in the kitchen. It works great for both.
A COUPLE THINGS TO REMEMBER:
Because this soap does not have sodium lauryl sulfate in it, it is not going to be as “sudsy.” The Thieves household cleaner will help the suds, but it’s definitely not going to be like store-bought soap that you are used to. Also, because the base is castile soap and water, it’s going to be much runnier and thinner than regular soap. This DOES NOT mean that it’s not working… it just means that it doesn’t have a lot of the nasty chemicals in it that other soaps do…
We’ve been using this soap recipe for months and we love it! You will use a little more because it’s runnier, but honestly, one batch lasts me AT LEAST a month *probably longer* and the cost per batch is significantly lower than what I used to spend at the store!
Also, this is dish SOAP and not dish detergent… so do NOT use this in your dishwasher!
Now what about you? Have you tried to make your own cleaning products at all? Any DIY recipes you’ve tried lately that I should check out?
I also wanted to remind y’all of my May promo happening! 🙂 So many of y’all have been reading this blog for a while and my series on essential oils and you haven’t gotten started on your oily journey! That’s okay! That’s what this blog and this series is for… it’s for learning, asking questions, and doing your research! I LOVE how much y’all email me and ask questions! BUT, if you’re ready to get started on your essential oil journey THIS month, I have a PRETTY amazing promo for you guys… seriously. This is awesome. Get started TODAY with a Premium Starter Kit and improve your overall health and wellness! Now is the time to get your family healthy and start getting RID of toxins in your HOME!!
Here is the DEAL!!!! (This also applies to the Ningxia Red and Thieves Premium Starter Kits as well!) Place an order as a wholesale member with a Premium Starter Kit and you get…
- You get a lifetime wholesale membership and discount of 24%!!
- You get 11, 5ml bottles of Essential oils (the everyday oils collection which includes Peppermint, PanAway, Purification, Frankincense, Joy, Lemon, Lavender, Thieves, Melaleuca Alternifolia, Stress Away, and Citrus Fresh)
- You will receive the coveted and amazing home OR dewdrop diffuser
- I will GIVE you a reference book!
- BONUS: I will GIVE you a diffuser necklace!! ($20 value!)
- BONUS: I will GIVE you a set of bottle labels so you can label and organize your new oily collections
- You will get ALL the support you need from this team to help you get started towards a healthier lifestyle.
So, who’s ready? Place your order here: http://bit.ly/mollyyleo Happy Tuesday!!!