Coming from an Irish background, Shepherd’s Pie has always been one of my favorite dishes. However, it is one of those meals that I tend to forget about and forget to make, but when I do, I’m reminded how delicious it is (and how easy it is to make.) Over the years, this has really become the best Shepherds Pie recipe. It’s a no brainer, takes a lot of ingredients you probably already have around the kitchen, and is on the table in no time. It’s one of my favorites to make and honestly it doesn’t even have to be St. Patrick’s Day for it to be a great meal!
Oh, and kids LOVE it. My kids gobbled this recipe up!
I hope you love it as much as I do! Let me know in the comments if you give it a try.
Best Shepherds Pie Recipe
Best Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds of ground beef I prefer grass-fed
- 2-3 cups of mashed potatoes I made mine fresh for this recipe but you can use boxed, pre-made, or even leftover mashed potatoes. Whatever mashed potato recipe you like best can be used!
- 1 bag of mixed frozen vegetables I used organic corn, peas, carrots, and green beans, but honestly whatever vegetables you want to use would be great (PRO TIP: leave the bag sitting out while you prep and brown your ground beef so the veggies have *some* time to thaw)
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce divided.
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of shredded cheese optional, for top of potatoes. But let's be honest, everything is better with cheese so this is a must ingredient for me
(This recipe assumes you have already made the mashed potatoes. Again, you can use boxed or pre-made, leftover, or make your mashed potatoes fresh. I made mine fresh. Whatever mashed potato recipe you like best works!)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
First, brown your ground beef. I like to brown mine in a little olive oil, with a dash of minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Add one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef as it cooks.
Once browned all the way through, in a large bowl, combine ground beef with remaining garlic, frozen vegetables, remaining Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper
In a 13"x9" greased baking dish, place the ground beef mixture on the bottom of the dish, then top with mashed potatoes in a smooth and even layer.
Top the mashed potatoes with shredded cheese.
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
That's it! Super easy and really delicious.
What do you think? Are you a Shepherd’s Pie fan?