*I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Plaid Crafts, Michaels and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.
I’ve got TWO really fun and really simple / easy DIYs for you today! The folks at Michael’s craft store came up with “Spring Wood Surface Challenge” and, basically, it involved being sent some supplies and challenged to come up with a creative way to decorate and use them! I LOVE challenges like this, so I was totally on board!
The end result was a really cute and simple DIY earring holder AND some adorable, easily customizable DIY wood bunting. I’ll walk you guys through how to make each one!
So, here are the supplies Michael’s sent me. I will be honest… when I opened the box I thought, “I’m not totally sure what to do with this stuff. It’s all so cool… but what should I make?”
I thought and thought and brainstormed and I decided that it was all about keeping it simple and not trying to over think it. I set out to make some wood bunting for our living room and an earring holder for my dresser / vanity.
Here are the supplies that I used in my projects:
- Large laser-cut wood surface
- Laser cut wood bunting
- Sponge brush
- Mod Podge Glitter
- Paint Pen
- Folk Art Acrylic Paint
The first step was PAINT. I took the grey acrylic paint and a sponge brush and put a nice, even layer of paint all over my wood surfaces.
Then I let those dry…
I decided to add some “pizzazz” to the earring holder and took some Mod Podge GLITTER and coated it all over the large wood surface.
After it dried, I had a nice, thin layer of glitter all over.
Then, for the bunting, I figured out what phrase I wanted my bunting to say and I took a paint pen and wrote it out on the wood. I decided on gold because gold and grey is classy and good all year round.
Then, I just took my dried laser-cut wood surface and hung it on my wall using some thumb tacks… and then hung my earrings on it. It actually came out WAY cuter than I had even originally pictured in my mind. I LOVE it!
Then, once the wood bunting was dry, I took some brown twine and threaded the bunting through the holes and decided our living room fireplace was the perfect place to hang it! It says “How He Loves Us” on it… I think it’s so cute!
You could EASILY customize the bunting to say whatever you want it to… I am even thinking I want to make different ones for different holidays. Such a cheap, easy, and quick project that can really personalize a room!
What do you think?! Do you like the DIYs I came up with? How would YOU have used the wood surfaces? Any crafts you’ve been making lately?
- Plaid Website: http://www.plaidonline.com/
- The Plaid Palette Blog: http://www.plaidonline.com/blog – The Plaid Palette is a source of inspiration with news about new product introductions, project ideas, tutorials from Plaid’s craft experts and giveaways.
- Newsletter: https://www.plaidonline.com/craft-newsletter-signup.aspx – Sign up for Plaid’s email newsletter for special coupons, project ideas and more!
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/plaidcrafts – Plaid’s YouTube channel features videos with product demonstration, special seasonal projects and ideas from top Craft Experts.
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/plaidcrafts
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspiredByPlaid
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/plaidcrafts – A look into daily life at Plaid and project inspiration.
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/plaidcrafts
- Google+: http://plus.google.com/+PlaidOnline
There are a ton of other awesome bloggers participating in this challenge throughout the month of January… you can check out their posts here:
I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Michael’s and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.